Solve Half-Life Problem: 226Ra, 1620 yrs, 1.5g

• Thread starter audax
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Half-life
In summary, the individual is asking for help with a half-life problem involving an isotope with a half-life of 1620 years. They are trying to find the initial quantity based on the given amount after 1000 years. They mention using natural log and exponential decay to solve the problem, but are getting a large number as a result. The expert suggests finding the decay constant first and then using it to solve for the initial quantity using the exponential equation. They also mention that using (\frac{1}{2})^x instead of e^x might be more appropriate for a half-life problem and provide an alternative equation for solving the problem.
audax
Hello,

I have a relatively simple question. I'm just wondering, with half-life problems, how could I solve something like the following:

Isotope: 226Ra
Half-life: 1620 years.
Initial Quantity: X (Solve for this)
Amount after 1000 years: 1.5g

Where I'm supposed to find the initial quantity.
Wouldn't a part of the equation be something like: .5 = e^1620r, where r is the rate of decay? I'm using natural log to try to get the rate: ( ln(.5) / 1620 ) = r
When I punch that into the calculator, I get huge number and it leads me to believe that I'm messing up somewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
For your decay constant, (which is what I think you really want. Decay rate* is different, and it isn't interchangeable with decay constant), you have to remember it is exponential decay, so be careful to get +/- stuff right. The decay constant should be a small number.

To now find the initial quantity, you must set up your exponential equation again, showing the relationship for the amount of material remaining from what you started with, using the decay constant you just found.

*Decay rate is also referred to as the activity of a radioactive source. The decay constant doesn't change, it is a property of the isotope. But the decay rate (activity) decreases by half after one half-life.

You know that the basic equation if A= Cekt. You are told that the half life is 1620 years. So you know that A(1620)= Ce1620k= (1/2)C. The C's cancel (of course) so e1620k= 1/2. Solve that for k. Now use Ce1000k= 1.5, with known k, to solve for C.

Actually because this is a "half life" problem, it might be better to write the function as [itex](\frac{1}{2})^x[/itex] rather than [itex]e^x[/itex]. (They are interchangeble:[itex](\frac{1}{2})^x= e^{xln(1/2)}[/itex].)
If T is the half life then the amount is multiplied by 1/2 every T years. There are t/T "periods of T years" in t years and so, in t years, the amount would be multiplied by 1/2 t/T years: with given half life 1620 years, [itex]X= C(\frac{1}{2})^{t/1620}[/itex]. Now use [itex]X(1000)= C(\frac{1}{2})^{1000/1629})= 1.5[/itex] to solve for C.

Related to Solve Half-Life Problem: 226Ra, 1620 yrs, 1.5g

1. What is the half-life of 226Ra?

The half-life of 226Ra is 1620 years. This means that after 1620 years, half of the initial amount of 226Ra will have decayed into other elements.

2. What is the significance of 1.5g in the half-life problem?

1.5g is the initial amount of 226Ra in the problem. This is important because it allows us to calculate the remaining amount of 226Ra after a certain number of half-lives.

3. How can you solve the half-life problem for 226Ra?

To solve the half-life problem for 226Ra, we can use the equation N = N0(1/2)t/t1/2, where N is the remaining amount of 226Ra after t years, N0 is the initial amount, and t1/2 is the half-life of 226Ra.

4. What is the formula for calculating the remaining amount of 226Ra?

The formula for calculating the remaining amount of 226Ra is N = N0(1/2)t/t1/2, where N is the remaining amount, N0 is the initial amount, t is the time in years, and t1/2 is the half-life of 226Ra.

5. How can we use the half-life of 226Ra in real-life situations?

The half-life of 226Ra is used in various fields such as nuclear physics, medicine, and environmental science. It is important for understanding the decay of radioactive elements and their effects on living organisms and the environment. It is also used in dating techniques, such as radiocarbon dating, to estimate the age of organic materials.