Solve Hanging Sign Problem: Tension in Two Ropes

• Thread starter miewann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sign
In summary, the tension in the two ropes holding up the sign can be found using trigonometric functions to separate the forces into horizontal and vertical components. The vertical components of T1 and T2 should add up to the weight of the sign.
miewann
1. Ok, i need help on this question:
Find the tension in two ropes holding up a sign. The sign weighs 59 kg. The hypotenuse of the ropes holding the sign is the ceiling, with the left angle of 24 degrees, and the right is 72 degrees.

2. How do i solve this?

3. i think i start out with T1+T2+Mg=0

Physics news on Phys.org
You are saying then that the sign is held by two ropes attached to the sign at a single point? And the ropes meet the ceiling at angles of 24 and 72 degrees? If so then "hypotenuse" is the wrong word- this is not a right triangle since 24 and 72 do not add to 90 degrees.

No, you do NOT start out with T1+ T2+ Mg= 0. T1 and T2 are forces in the direction of the 2 ropes and -Mg is the force straight down. You need to use trig functions to separate the T1 and T2 into horizontal and vertical components. The horizontal components add to 0 and the vertical components add to -Mg (so your equation above is correct if you use the vertical components of T1 and T2).

ok, so I'm sorry, i have no idea what I'm doing. is it 24cosT2 and 72cosT1?

nevermind i figured it out

Related to Solve Hanging Sign Problem: Tension in Two Ropes

1. How do you calculate the tension in two ropes when solving a hanging sign problem?

The tension in two ropes can be calculated using the equation T1 = T2 = mg, where T1 and T2 represent the tensions in each rope, m represents the mass of the sign, and g represents the acceleration due to gravity.

2. What factors affect the tension in two ropes when solving a hanging sign problem?

The tension in two ropes is affected by the mass of the sign, the angle at which the ropes are attached to the sign, and the angle at which the ropes are attached to the support structure.

3. How do you determine the angle at which the ropes should be attached to the sign in order to evenly distribute tension?

The angle at which the ropes should be attached to the sign can be determined by using the equation tan(θ) = T2 / T1, where θ represents the angle between the ropes and T1 and T2 represent the tensions in each rope.

4. Can the tension in two ropes be greater than the weight of the sign?

Yes, the tension in two ropes can be greater than the weight of the sign. This can occur when the angle at which the ropes are attached to the sign is smaller than the angle at which the ropes are attached to the support structure, resulting in a larger tension in the ropes.

5. How do you adjust the tension in two ropes if the sign is not hanging evenly?

If the sign is not hanging evenly, the tension in one of the ropes can be adjusted by changing the angle at which it is attached to the support structure. The tension in both ropes should be equal for the sign to hang evenly.