Solve Heat Equation with Initial Conditions

In summary, the problem is to solve the partial differential equation $u_{tt}=u_{xx}$ on the interval $x\in [0,1]$ and $t>0$, with initial conditions $u(x,0)=f(x)$ and $u_t(x,0)=0$, and boundary conditions $u(0,t)=u(1,t)=0$, where $f(x)$ is defined by $f(x)=x$ if $0\le x\le \dfrac12$ and $f(x)=1-x$ if $\dfrac12\le x\le1.$ This can be done by using separation of variables and considering the two intervals $[0,\dfrac12]$ and $[\
Markov2
Solve

$\begin{aligned} & {{u}_{tt}}={{u}_{xx}},\text{ }x\in [0,1],\text{ }t>0, \\
& u(x,0)=f(x), \\
& {{u}_{t}}(x,0)=0,\text{ }u(0,t)=u(1,t)=0 \\
\end{aligned}
$

where $f(x)$ is defined by $f(x)=x$ if $0\le x\le \dfrac12$ and $f(x)=1-x$ if $\dfrac12\le x\le1.$

I'm not sure how to proceed here, what's the standard way?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you're on a finite interval (i.e. [0,1]) use separation of variables.

Another way to do this is to change variables: let s= x- y, t= x+ y. $u_x= u_ss_x+ u_tt_x= u_s+ u_t$ so that $u_{xx}= (u_s+ u_t)_x= (u_s+ u_t)_s+ (u_s+ u_t)_t= u_{ss}+ 2u_{st}+ u_{tt}$ and $u_y= u_ss_y+ u_tt_y= -u_s+ u_t$ so that $u_{yy}= -(-u_s+ u_t)_u+ (-u_s+ u_t)_t= u_{ss}- 2y_{st}+ u_{tt}$. Put those into $u_{xx}= u_{tt}$.

May I ask why you are trying to solve such an equation if you have never had any instruction in it?

Last edited by a moderator:
My professor is really bad so I started to learn this by myself.

By using separation of variables, I need to set $u(x,t)=f(x)g(t)$ and substitute, right?

Yes. Of course, there might not be a function of that form satisfying the initial conditions but then you could use a sum of such things.

Okay but do I need to make it twice? I mean working with $0\le x\le\dfrac12,$ and then using separation of variables for the other interval?

Jester, we can actually use the direct results by using separation of variables. I know the solution is a series where the coefficients must be found, but I actually want to know is if I need to pick my $f$ on one interval and then pick it from the other interval, which means that I'd have to solve two equations.

It's like:

\begin{aligned} & {{u}_{tt}}={{u}_{xx}},\text{ }x\in [0,1/2],\text{ }t>0, \\ & u(x,0)=x, \\ & {{u}_{t}}(x,0)=0,\text{ }u(0,t)=u(1,t)=0 \\ \end{aligned}

and in the same fashion for the other. Does that make sense?

Related to Solve Heat Equation with Initial Conditions

1. What is the heat equation and how is it used in scientific research?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes the flow of heat through a given material over time. It is commonly used in scientific research to model and predict the behavior of heat in various systems, such as in thermodynamics and fluid mechanics.

2. What are initial conditions and why are they important in solving the heat equation?

Initial conditions refer to the specific values of temperature at the beginning of a heat transfer process. These values are essential in solving the heat equation because they serve as the starting point for the mathematical model and help determine the behavior of heat over time.

3. How do you solve the heat equation with initial conditions?

The heat equation can be solved using various mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, Fourier series, and Laplace transform. The specific approach depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired level of accuracy.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of solving the heat equation with initial conditions?

The accuracy of solving the heat equation with initial conditions can be affected by factors such as the boundary conditions, material properties, and the chosen mathematical method. Other external factors such as errors in measurement or data input can also impact the accuracy of the solution.

5. Can the heat equation with initial conditions be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, the heat equation with initial conditions can be applied to a wide range of real-world problems, including heat transfer in buildings, thermal management in electronic devices, and heat transfer in geological processes. Its versatility and accuracy make it a valuable tool in scientific research and practical applications.