Solve Heat ODE Modeling Problem: u(t) & x(t)

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for a differential equation for temperature in a plate using the heat equation and a steady state heat conduction problem. The equation is given as x'(t) = - (g / C)x + (1 / C)u and the use of Latex or BBcode Guides is suggested for typing equations.
CyberneticsInside
Member warned about posting without the homework template
Im stuck on this question, can someone please help me?

u(t) = input power [W].
x(t) = temperature in plate [Celsius]
v = 0, temperature of surroundings [Celsius]
C = 400, heat capacity for plate [J/ Celsius]
g = 2, heat transfer plate / air [W / Celsius]

Question is something like this:
You're playing with the heat plate (Kitchen). The plate might be considered like a flat heat element, that radiates heat to the surroundings.
Find a differential equation for x(t).

Nb: the change of temperature in the room migtht be neglected due to
air circulation

Should be on the form like: x'(t) = ax + bu

I assume i need to use the ΔE = W + Q, but i kind of have no clue how to even start.
I checked if there was a solutions manual but, it was partly broken. The only experience i have with modelling something with heat is the heat equation. But that's a partial differential equation, and only one-dimentional, and i 'm not sure how to handle two functions in one equation?

Physics news on Phys.org
I know should try to come up with a possible solution, but I’ve been stuck with this all day, and I can't find any similar problems to start with either.

This is a 1D steady state heat conduction problem with heat generation within the body and a convective heat loss boundary condition at one of the surfaces. You need to perform a differential heat balance on a portion of the plate between x and x + Δx.

Ok, thanks.

Ok, I think I got it.

C dx = u dt - g(x-v)dt
x'(t) = - (g / C)x + (1 / C)u

Just an additional question: Is there some better way to type in equation, like Latex or similiar?

CyberneticsInside said:
Ok, I think I got it.

C dx = u dt - g(x-v)dt
x'(t) = - (g / C)x + (1 / C)u

Just an additional question: Is there some better way to type in equation, like Latex or similiar?
Do you see the words "LaTex / BBcode Guides" under the reply window?

Ah, found it !

So the answer would be [itex] \dot{x} = - \frac{g}{C}x + \frac{1}{C}u [/itex]

Related to Solve Heat ODE Modeling Problem: u(t) & x(t)

1. What is an ODE and how does it relate to heat modeling?

An ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes with respect to time. In heat modeling, it is used to describe the change in temperature over time.

2. What is u(t) and x(t) in the context of heat modeling?

In heat modeling, u(t) represents the temperature at a specific time, t, and x(t) represents the position of a point in space at that time. In other words, u(t) is the dependent variable (temperature) and x(t) is the independent variable (position).

3. How do you solve a heat ODE modeling problem?

To solve a heat ODE modeling problem, you need to first determine the initial conditions, boundary conditions, and the governing equation for the system. Then, you can use various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, series solutions, or numerical methods to solve the ODE and obtain a solution for u(t).

4. What are some common applications of heat ODE modeling?

Heat ODE modeling has many practical applications, including predicting the temperature distribution in a room, calculating the cooling rates of materials, and understanding the behavior of heat transfer in various systems such as engines and refrigerators.

5. Are there any limitations to heat ODE modeling?

While heat ODE modeling is a powerful tool for predicting temperature changes, it does have some limitations. It assumes that the temperature is continuous and that the material being studied is homogeneous and isotropic. In reality, these conditions may not hold, and other factors such as convection and radiation may need to be considered for more accurate modeling.