Solve Height Puzzle: Find Davina's Height Using Algebraic Equations

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Difference
In summary, the problem requires three unknown quantities (Pritesh, Davina, and Alicia's heights) to be solved using algebra, but only provides two equations (P-D = D-A and P+A+D = 300). To find the third unknown, a third equation (such as 2D=P+A) must be derived. Trial and error can also be used, but it may result in multiple solutions.
Natasha1

Homework Statement

Pritesh is taller than Davina who is taller than Alicia. The difference in height between Pritesh and Davina is the same as the difference in height between Davina and Alicia. The total of their heights is 300 cm. How tall is Davina?

Homework Equations

Now trial and error gives me Alicia = 50cm, Davina = 100cm and Pritesh = 150cm as the difference between them is 50cm

The Attempt at a Solution

How could I do this problem using only algebra, rather than what I did with trial and error?

Physics news on Phys.org
Natasha1 said:

Homework Statement

Pritesh is taller than Davina who is taller than Alicia. The difference in height between Pritesh and Davina is the same as the difference in height between Davina and Alicia. The total of their heights is 300 cm. How tall is Davina?

Homework Equations

Now trial and error gives me Alicia = 50cm, Davina = 100cm and Pritesh = 150cm as the difference between them is 50cm

The Attempt at a Solution

How could I do this problem using only algebra, rather than what I did with trial and error?
Maybe P+D+A = 300

P-D = D-A

Are those two equations enough to get the solution? :smile:

Likes Thewindyfan
P = 2D - A

So substituting gives
2D - A + D + A = 300
3D = 300
D = 100

How do I get P and A?

Hi, let's write these info:

P+A+D= 300
D-P=A-D

You need D

Look at the second equation, you can write it as: 2D= P+A , that's amazing

Look at the first : (P+A)+D= 300

Can you see it?

Natasha1 said:
P = 2D - A

So substituting gives
2D - A + D + A = 300
3D = 300
D = 100

How do I get P and A?

You can't, you need another equation, but you only need D

Likes Thewindyfan
D-100=A-100

So D = A which is wrong??

Cozma Alex said:
2D= P+A
Cozma Alex said:
(P+A)+D= 300
Natasha1 said:
D-100=A-100
Just re-check your algebra... :smile:

P-D = D-A
so
P - 100 = 100 - A
P = 200 - A
A = 200 - P

Is this correct?

Natasha1 said:
Is this correct?
Does it give the right answer?

Natasha1 said:
P = 2D - A

So substituting gives
2D - A + D + A = 300
3D = 300
D = 100
So Davina is 100 cm tall, that is correct.
Natasha1 said:
How do I get P and A?
You don't have enough information to answer that question. That's why you are only asked how tall Davina is.

Likes Thewindyfan
Can you remember a technique that allows you to deal with more than one unknown quantity, and can you recognize the quantity you do not need to answer this question?

Hint: look at your algebra, it'll be easier to think about this algebraically than from just reading the problem text (which is what you're asking for, correct?).

Natasha1 said:

Homework Statement

Pritesh is taller than Davina who is taller than Alicia.
Let P be the Pritesh's height, in cm, D be Davina's height in cm., and A be Alicia's height in cm.

The difference in height between Pritesh and Davina is the same as the difference in height between Davina and Alicia.
So P- D= D- A.

The total of their heights is 300 cm. How tall is Davina?
And A+ D+ P= 300. That give two equations, P- D= D- A and A+ D+ P= 300 to solve for three unknowns. That is not enough information. We need one more equation. We Could write P- D- A as 2D= P+ A and replace "P+ A" in the second equation by 2P to get 2D+ D= 3D= 300 to get D= 100. But putting D= 100 in either of the two equations gives P- 100= 100- A so that A+ P= 200.

2. Homework Equations
Now trial and error gives me Alicia = 50cm, Davina = 100cm and Pritesh = 150cm as the difference between them is 50cm.
Yes, that is one solution. But taking, say, A= 40, P= 200- 40= 160 also satisfies A+ P= 200 so also satisfies "P- D= 160- 100= 60" and "D- A= 100- 40= 60". Or taking A= 25, P= 200- 25= 175, which also satisfies A+ P= 200 as well as "P- D= 175- 100= 75" and "D- A= 100- 25= 75".

3. The Attempt at a Solution

Thank you everyone, I have understood

Related to Solve Height Puzzle: Find Davina's Height Using Algebraic Equations

1. What is the height puzzle and how does it involve algebraic equations?

The height puzzle is a mathematical problem in which the height of an individual, in this case Davina, is determined using algebraic equations. The equations involve variables that represent different factors that contribute to the individual's height, such as their parents' heights, and use mathematical operations to solve for the unknown height.

2. What information is needed to solve the height puzzle?

To solve the height puzzle, you will need to know the heights of Davina's parents, as well as any other relevant information, such as the average height of individuals in her family or the height of other family members.

3. Can the height puzzle be solved using other methods besides algebraic equations?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to solve the height puzzle, such as using ratios or proportions. However, algebraic equations are often the most efficient and accurate way to solve the puzzle.

4. Are there any real-life applications for the height puzzle and algebraic equations?

Yes, the height puzzle and algebraic equations have many real-life applications, particularly in fields such as genetics and statistics. They can also be used to make predictions about an individual's height based on their family history and other factors.

5. Is there a specific strategy or formula for solving the height puzzle?

While there is no one specific strategy or formula for solving the height puzzle, there are some general steps that can be followed. These include identifying the known and unknown variables, setting up equations based on the given information, and using algebraic operations to solve for the unknown height.