Solve Highly Nonlinear ODE: Fourier Series Analysis

In summary, the conversation discussed an equation of motion with constants A, B, C, D, and w, and the possibility of solving it for z(t). The speaker has been using numerical methods but is seeking a faster and more accurate solution. The expert suggests using the method of separation of variables and the method of Fourier series to find an analytical solution for z(t).
tburke2
I have an equation of motion given by
$$f(z(t),t) = \frac{d^2z}{dt^2} + A\frac{dz}{dt} + B $$
where
$$f(z(t),t) = [(\frac{C}{z^2+C^2})^2-(\frac{D}{z^2+D^2})^4]^2(1+cos(wt))$$
and ##A,B,C,D,## and ##w## are constants

Is it possible to solve this for ##z(t)##? I have been solving it numerically using Matlab's ODE solver but as this model is used to fit a set of experimental data (constants ##A## and ##B## are varied until a reasonably small error is achieved between this and the experimental data) it would greatly reduce computational time if a solution or even a close approximation can be found.

I know from numerically solving ##z(t)## that it is periodic so there must be a Fourier series that can be used to find a solution. I have basic knowledge of Fourier analysis and since ##f## is a function of ##z## and ##t##, and ##z## is dependent on ##t##, I'm unsure how to do this. If someone could point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

I would suggest looking into the method of separation of variables to solve this equation. This method involves assuming that the solution can be written as a product of two functions, one depending only on ##z## and the other depending only on ##t##. This will allow you to separate the variables and solve for each one separately.

In this case, you can assume that ##z(t) = X(t)Y(z)## and then plug this into the equation of motion. This will result in two separate equations, one for ##X(t)## and one for ##Y(z)##. You can then solve each equation separately using standard techniques such as integration or power series.

Once you have the solutions for ##X(t)## and ##Y(z)##, you can combine them to get the solution for ##z(t)##. This will give you an analytical solution for ##z(t)## which will be much faster and more accurate than using numerical methods.

Additionally, since you mentioned that the solution is periodic, you can also try using the method of Fourier series. In this method, you can express the solution as a sum of sine and cosine functions with different frequencies and amplitudes. By finding the coefficients of these functions, you can get an approximation of the solution for ##z(t)##.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

FAQ: Solve Highly Nonlinear ODE: Fourier Series Analysis

1. What is a highly nonlinear ODE?

A highly nonlinear ODE (ordinary differential equation) is an equation that contains nonlinear terms, meaning that the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to powers other than 1. This makes it more difficult to solve compared to a linear ODE, which only has terms raised to the first power.

2. What is Fourier series analysis?

Fourier series analysis is a mathematical technique used to represent a function as a sum of sinusoidal functions. It is commonly used in solving nonlinear ODEs by approximating the solution as a combination of these sinusoidal functions.

3. How is Fourier series analysis used to solve highly nonlinear ODEs?

The highly nonlinear ODE can be converted into a system of linear ODEs by using the Fourier series representation. This system can then be solved using various techniques such as separation of variables, power series, or numerical methods.

4. What are the limitations of using Fourier series analysis to solve highly nonlinear ODEs?

Fourier series analysis can only be used to solve ODEs with periodic boundary conditions. It also assumes that the solution can be represented as a combination of sinusoidal functions, which may not always be the case for highly nonlinear ODEs.

5. Are there other methods for solving highly nonlinear ODEs?

Yes, there are other methods such as numerical methods (e.g. Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method), perturbation methods, or using computer software such as MATLAB or Mathematica. The method used will depend on the specific equation and boundary conditions.