Solve Homework: Determine Max L2-L1 for Runner 1 to be Faster

In summary, the conversation discusses two runners competing on two different tracks with different times and lengths. The question is how much longer can one track be for us to still conclude that runner 1 is faster. The solution involves the equation v = L / t and setting L1 = 1 km.
GunnaSix

Homework Statement

In 1 km races, runner 1 on track 1 (with time t1 = 147.95 s) appears to be faster than runner 2 on track 2 (t2 = 148.15 s). However, length L2 of track 2 might be slightly greater than length L1 of track 1. How large can L2 - L1 be for us to still conclude that runner 1 is faster?

Homework Equations

v = L / t

The Attempt at a Solution

I got it down to L2t1 - L1t2 < 0, but can't figure out how to get L2 - L1 out. I know I probably have to use the fact that L is approximately 1 km, but I'm not seeing how to do it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi GunnaSix! :smile:

Why not just put L1 = 1 km?

FAQ: Solve Homework: Determine Max L2-L1 for Runner 1 to be Faster

1. What does "L2-L1" refer to in this context?

"L2-L1" refers to the difference in time (in seconds) between two runners, with Runner 1 being faster than Runner 2.

2. How is the maximum L2-L1 determined?

The maximum L2-L1 is determined by finding the smallest possible difference in time between Runner 1 and Runner 2, where Runner 1 is still faster than Runner 2.

3. Why is it important to determine the maximum L2-L1?

Determining the maximum L2-L1 allows us to understand the potential for Runner 1 to improve and become even faster, as well as identifying the areas where Runner 2 can improve to catch up.

4. Can the maximum L2-L1 change over time?

Yes, the maximum L2-L1 can change over time as both runners may improve or decline in their performance. It is important to regularly reassess and update this value.

5. How can the maximum L2-L1 be used to improve performance?

The maximum L2-L1 can be used as a benchmark for setting goals and tracking progress for both runners. It can also be used to identify specific areas where Runner 1 can focus on to maintain their lead and where Runner 2 can work on to catch up.

Back