Solve Impossible Integral: Guide to \int dx [0,1]

• Thread starter Sebobas
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary: It is! Sorry, I thought I put the bounds on the integral. I'm new here so I probably didn't do it right...fixed the post (:
Sebobas

Homework Statement

I have to find the definite integral of: [itex]\int\left(\sqrt[3]{1-x^{7}}-\sqrt[7]{1-x^{3}}\right)dx[/itex] with bounds [0,1]

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that this can be done with hypergeometric functions, but I ca't use them because "we haven't seem them yet", so I have to do this with "everyday" integration tools. The only thing I was told was that I have to start with a substitution and the last part would be a cyclical integral, which tells me that I probably have to also use integration by parts in the middle.

I'm not asking for someone to give me the answer right away, I just need a starting point/mini-guide to help me get to the answer on my own, although I'm grateful with any kind of help (: Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Which substitutions have you tried so far?

clamtrox said:
Which substitutions have you tried so far?

u= x7, x3, 1-x3, 1-x7

Sebobas said:

Homework Statement

I have to find the integral of: [itex]\int\left(\sqrt[3]{1-x^{7}}-\sqrt[7]{1-x^{3}}\right)dx[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I know that this can be done with hypergeometric functions, but I ca't use them because "we haven't seem them yet", so I have to do this with "everyday" integration tools. The only thing I was told was that I have to start with a substitution and the last part would be a cyclical integral, which tells me that I probably have to also use integration by parts in the middle.

I'm not asking for someone to give me the answer right away, I just need a starting point/mini-guide to help me get to the answer on my own, although I'm grateful with any kind of help (: Thanks!

Sure that's not a definite integral with bounds of [0,1]?

Because there's a neat trick to immediately and trivially evaluate it in that case. See my earlier post in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=571323

Curious3141 said:

Because there's a neat trick to immediately and trivially evaluate it in that case. See my earlier post in this thread: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=571323

Wow, that's a really nice trick. :approve:

Curious3141 said:

It is! Sorry, I thought I put the bounds on the integral. I'm new here so I probably didn't do it right...fixed the post (: and thanks for that trick!

Related to Solve Impossible Integral: Guide to \int dx [0,1]

1. How do I approach solving an impossible integral?

When faced with an "impossible" integral, it is important to first understand the properties of the integral and the function being integrated. Look for patterns, symmetry, or special identities that may help simplify the integral. If those techniques do not work, try using substitution or integration by parts.

2. What is the purpose of a guide to solving impossible integrals?

A guide to solving impossible integrals can provide a step-by-step approach to tackling difficult integrals and can offer tips and tricks to help make the process more manageable and less daunting.

3. Can all impossible integrals be solved?

No, not all impossible integrals can be solved using traditional methods. Some integrals may require advanced techniques, such as contour integration or series expansion, while others may be unsolvable.

4. How can I check if my solution to an impossible integral is correct?

One way to check if your solution is correct is by using a graphing calculator or software to graph both the original function and the antiderivative. If they match, then your solution is likely correct. Another method is to take the derivative of your solution and see if it equals the original function.

5. Are there any resources available for solving impossible integrals?

Yes, there are many online resources, textbooks, and tutorials available for solving impossible integrals. You can also consult with a mathematics tutor or professor for additional help and guidance.