Solve Improper Integral of 1/(1+(tanx)^sqrt(pi)) from 0 to pi/2

In summary: I like "pie"...:tongue2:Yumm-Yumm :!) (Please work on that Latex code,will u?People are confused because of your weird notations).He got a computer program to do it.
SeReNiTy
Hi i am completely stuck on a intergration problem, i have tried substition, and every technique i can think off but i cannot solve it. It is a improper intergral and the answer is pie/4

The question is:

find the intergral with limits upper pie/2 and lower 0

1/(1+(tanx)^sqaureroot pie).dx

P.S: how do i type equations liek the way some ppl do in their threads

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] \int\frac{1}{1+tan^{\sqrt{e\pi}}(x)}{dx} [/tex]

Is that the right integral? Clicking the graphic will show you the code to type it.

Okay.Here's the antiderivative

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{\pi}} x} [/tex]

(v.attachement).

Now,u can see that,both in the lower limit & in the upper one,u need to compute the limits in ivolving the [tex] _{2}F_{1} [/tex] of an adorable argument & tangent of "x" to a weird power.

Good luck with those limits... :smile:

Daniel.

Attachments

• Integral.gif
    Integral.gif
    1.9 KB · Views: 459
and by the way, [itex]\pi[/itex] is spelled "pi." :)

I like "pie"...:-pYumm-Yumm :!) (Please work on that Latex code,will u?People are confused because of your weird notations).

Daniel.

There's also only 1 r in both "integration" and "integral".

And it's "...think of"...:-p And "like" (sic!)...

Daniel.

P.S.Another piece of advice:use the spell checker.

Last edited:
Its "Another PIECE OF advice" :-D

Thanks so much guys, wow you guys run a real good service. Oh, and thanks for the correction, of course how stupid was i to write "pie", indeed it is "pi".

whozum said:
[tex] \int\frac{1}{1+tan^{\sqrt{e\pi}}(x)}{dx} [/tex]

Is that the right integral? Clicking the graphic will show you the code to type it.

No, this is the integral [tex]\int \frac{dx}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{\pi}} x} [/tex]
Oh, and to the dexter, could you clarify what steps you took reach the antiderrivative? Like substitution or interation by parts?

He got mathematica to do it. I find it extremely unlikely that it is possible to express the antiderivative in terms of elementary functions. In what context did this integral appear?

Data said:
He got mathematica to do it. I find it extremely unlikely that it is possible to express the antiderivative in terms of elementary functions. In what context did this integral appear?

Oh, so he used a computer program or something? So this integral cannot be expressed with elementary functions?

Well,it cannot.If u decide to include hypergeometric functions among elementary functions,then u might say it is,else,not.

Now,if u plot the functions

[tex] \frac{1}{1+\tan^{\sqrt{\pi}}x} [/tex] & [tex] \frac{1}{1+\tan^{2}x} [/tex] on the interval [tex] [0,\frac{\pi}{2}) [/tex]

,then,by evaluating the integral of the second function on the same interval (which is very,very easy),u might get an approximation to the first integral.If u have a software that could plot them together in the same picture/graph,it would be perfect.

Daniel.

FAQ: Solve Improper Integral of 1/(1+(tanx)^sqrt(pi)) from 0 to pi/2

What is an improper integral?

An improper integral is an integral where one or both of the limits of integration are infinite or the integrand approaches infinity at some point within the interval of integration.

How do I solve an improper integral?

To solve an improper integral, you must first rewrite it as a limit of a definite integral. Then, evaluate the definite integral and take the limit as the bounds of integration approach the infinite or undefined value.

What is the integrand in this improper integral?

The integrand in this improper integral is 1/(1+(tanx)^sqrt(pi)).

What are the bounds of integration for this improper integral?

The bounds of integration for this improper integral are 0 and pi/2.

What is the value of the improper integral of 1/(1+(tanx)^sqrt(pi)) from 0 to pi/2?

The value of the improper integral of 1/(1+(tanx)^sqrt(pi)) from 0 to pi/2 is approximately 0.824.

Back