Solve Inequality: x^4+6x^3+7x^2-6x-8

• Thread starter Sumedh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequality
In summary, after trying different methods and failing, Ehlid solves the problem using the sum-times-difference method.
Sumedh

Homework Statement

Solve the inequation [tex](x^2+3x+1)(x^2+3x-3)\ge 5[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

on opening the brackets i got

[tex]x^2(x^2+3x-3)+3x(x^2+3x-3)+1(x^2+3x-3)\ge 5[/tex]
[tex]x^4+3x^3-3x^2+3x^3+9x^2-9x+x^2+3x-3-5\ge 0[/tex]
[tex]x^4+6x^3+7x^2-6x-8\ge 0[/tex]

am i right??
after that what should i do??

Physics news on Phys.org
Do not open the brackets .
Investigate the signs of both factors instead.

ehild

ehild said:
Do not open the brackets .
Investigate the signs of both factors instead.

ehild

Ehlid, did you notice there's a 5 on the right side of the equation?
I can't see how analyzing the signs of the expressions could help.

I'll think of that, I can't see an obvious answer.

Sumedh said:
am i right??
Yes, that's correct. Now factor the polynomial.

I did find a solution, but I find it rather hard.

Do you know this theorem?
"
The integer root theorem. If an integer is a root of a polynomial whose coefficients are integers and whose leading coefficient is ±1, then that integer is a factor of the constant term."

Meaning: in the inequality you found, if there's a root that's an integer, it'll be either 1,-1,2,-2,4,-4,8 or -8.
A quick attempt or intuition will show you the correct one.

Do you know how to take it onward? You'll have to later use the same trick again...

Let us know if you're stuck!

If anyone found a better solution, please... :-)

very interesting little problem, excellent for any high schhol teachers who loves to induce unnecessary headaches

Tomer said:
I did find a solution, but I find it rather hard.

Do you know this theorem?
"
The integer root theorem. If an integer is a root of a polynomial whose coefficients are integers and whose leading coefficient is ±1, then that integer is a factor of the constant term."

Meaning: in the inequality you found, if there's a root that's an integer, it'll be either 1,-1,2,-2,4,-4,8 or -8.
A quick attempt or intuition will show you the correct one.

Do you know how to take it onward? You'll have to later use the same trick again...

Let us know if you're stuck!

If anyone found a better solution, please... :-)

i solved it in 6 lines, all steps are doable to people who knows how to expand (x+a)(x+b) or factorize a binomial term into that form.

hint: treat (x^2+3x) as a single variable. eg say y = x^2+3x and reread the problem after you substitute the y in

wukunlin said:
very interesting little problem, excellent for any high schhol teachers who loves to induce unnecessary headaches

i solved it in 6 lines, all steps are doable to people who knows how to expand (x+a)(x+b) or factorize a binomial term into that form.

hint: treat (x^2+3x) as a single variable. eg say y = x^2+3x and reread the problem after you substitute the y in

That's indeed a good idea, and I figured there's an easier way that I've missed.

Tomer said:
Ehlid, did you notice there's a 5 on the right side of the equation?

Uhh. I did nor notice. But considering x2+3x a single variable as Wukunlin suggested is very promising...Try it.

ehild

Sumedh said:

Homework Statement

Solve the inequation [tex](x^2+3x+1)(x^2+3x-3)\ge 5[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

on opening the brackets i got

[tex]x^2(x^2+3x-3)+3x(x^2+3x-3)+1(x^2+3x-3)\ge 5[/tex]
[tex]x^4+3x^3-3x^2+3x^3+9x^2-9x+x^2+3x-3-5\ge 0[/tex]
[tex]x^4+6x^3+7x^2-6x-8\ge 0[/tex]

am i right??
The polynomial, [itex]x^4+6x^3+7x^2-6x-8[/itex], can be factored. x = 1 is a root, so (x-1) is a factor. Use synthetic division or long division to find the other factor (a 3rd degree polynomial). Then continue to factor the 3rd degree polynomial.

... But there's an easier way (IMO):
Notice that you can write the left hand side of the original inequality in the form of a sum times a difference, (y+a)(y-a), because:
x2+3x+1 = (x2+3x-1)+2
and x2+3x-3 = (x2+3x-1)-2 .

The original ]inequality becomes [itex][(x^2+3x-1)+2]\cdot[(x^2+3x-1)-2]\ge 5[/itex]

[itex](x^2+3x-1)^2-4\ge5\,.[/itex] (Don't multiply out to get rid of the parentheses.)

Subtract 5 (a constant) from both sides and notice a new difference of squares on the left hand side of the resulting inequality. Factor the difference of squares.

It should be relatively easy from this point on, because you now have zero on the right, and the product of two quadratics on the left.​

Now, let's see if Sumedh shows up to respond to any of these posts ...

I am sorry for not responding quickly.

I was trying to do with the last method(#9) before it was posted,
but i failed to do, so i solved it with long division method and I got it.
Thank you very much.

Related to Solve Inequality: x^4+6x^3+7x^2-6x-8

1. What is an inequality?

An inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two quantities using symbols such as <, >, ≤, or ≥. It indicates that the values on one side are greater or less than the values on the other side.

2. How do I solve an inequality with exponents?

To solve an inequality with exponents, you can use the same principles as solving equations. First, simplify the expression by combining like terms. Then, factor the expression if possible. Next, use the properties of inequalities to isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Finally, solve for the variable by finding the values that make the inequality true.

3. Can I use the quadratic formula to solve this inequality?

No, the quadratic formula can only be used to solve quadratic equations, which have a degree of 2. This inequality has a degree of 4, so you will need to use other methods, such as factoring or the properties of inequalities, to solve it.

4. How many solutions can an inequality have?

An inequality can have infinitely many solutions, since there are infinitely many numbers that can satisfy the inequality. However, some inequalities may have a specific range of values that will satisfy it, resulting in a finite number of solutions.

5. What is the solution to this inequality?

The solution to this inequality is any value of x that makes the inequality true. You can find the solution by using various methods, such as graphing, substitution, or algebraic manipulation.

Back