Solve Infinite Square Well Homework: Find Energy, Probability

In summary: I had a 2/√L where I needed a √2/L instead. So stupid. In summary, the conversation discussed solving for the lowest possible energy and probability of measurement for a particle in a confined box with ISW walls at 0 and L. The solution involved normalizing the wavefunction and using the Schrodinger equation to find the lowest energy, but there was a discrepancy in the calculation of the probability which was later resolved by correcting a mistake in the coefficient equation.
danmel413

Homework Statement

ISW walls at 0 and L, wavefunction ψ(x) = { A for x<L/2; -A for x>L/2. Find the lowest possible energy and the probability to measure it?

Homework Equations

Schrodinger equation

ψ(x)=(√2/L)*(sin(nπx/L)

cn=√(2/a)∫sin(nπx/L)dx {0<x<a}

En=n2π2ħ2/2ma2

The Attempt at a Solution

First I normalized and found A= 1/√L

Lowest energy = E12ħ2/2mL2

But I'm going wrong on finding the probability.

P1=|c1|2

When finding cn, I split the integral into two parts, one for ψ(x) = A for x<L/2 and one for ψ(x) = -A for x>L/2 and I get as a result:

(-2/(√L)nπ)(2cos(nπ/2-cosnπ-1) which equals 0 for odd n's and 8/(√L)nπ for even ones. Problem arises when I put that into my probability I'm left with my probability dependent on L - how is it possible that the probability of a particle having a certain energy be dependent on the size of our made up box? I've checked the integral over a thousand times and can't find a mistake. Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
danmel413 said:
ψ(x)=(√2/L)*(sin(nπx/L)
Is this equation correct?

danmel413 said:
cn=√(2/a)∫sin(nπx/L)dx {0<x<a}
Not sure what that represents.

danmel413 said:
Lowest energy = E12ħ2/2mL2

(-2/(√L)nπ)(2cos(nπ/2-cosnπ-1) which equals 0 for odd n's
Are these two statements compatible?

danmel413 said:
which equals 0 for odd n's and 8/(√L)nπ for even ones. Problem arises when I put that into my probability I'm left with my probability dependent on L - how is it possible that the probability of a particle having a certain energy be dependent on the size of our made up box? I've checked the integral over a thousand times and can't find a mistake. Help?

the probability of a particle confined in a box of infinite depth is a confinement and its energy goes higher as the width is lower.
the position probability is never a constant inside a box .pl. check your calculation and the limits . it may be zero at certain points.and maximum at other points.
one should see a textbook for plot of probability for different states .

danmel413 said:
When finding cn, I split the integral into two parts, one for ψ(x) = A for x<L/2 and one for ψ(x) = -A for x>L/2 and I get as a result:

(-2/(√L)nπ)(2cos(nπ/2-cosnπ-1)

All of your work looks good, except I don't agree with your numerical factor out front in your result for the integration. As you say, L should not appear. I also get √2 in the numerator instead of 2. So, check your integration again (makes a thousand and 1 times).

When writing fractions with the symbol /, make sure you put the entire denominator in parentheses to agree with "order of operations".

drvrm said:
the position probability is never a constant inside a box .
That's true if the particle is in one of the energy eigenstates. But here, it is assumed that the particle is in the state given (which would be a superposition of energy eigenstates). The boundary conditions require that the wavefunction goes to zero at the endpoints of the well. So, I guess you need to assume the wavefunction goes from ±A to zero over a negligible interval near the endpoints.

Thanks everyone for your help. I realized my entire problem came from me not copying down the coefficient equation correctly when I went to solve it.

Related to Solve Infinite Square Well Homework: Find Energy, Probability

1. What is an infinite square well potential?

An infinite square well potential is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe a particle confined to a one-dimensional space. It consists of an infinitely high potential barrier at the edges and a constant potential of zero within the well.

2. How do you find the energy levels in an infinite square well potential?

The energy levels in an infinite square well potential can be found by solving the Schrödinger equation for the given boundary conditions. This involves finding the wave function and applying boundary conditions to determine the allowed energy values.

3. How do you calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific energy level in an infinite square well potential?

The probability of finding a particle in a specific energy level in an infinite square well potential can be calculated by taking the square of the absolute value of the wave function at that energy level. This gives the probability amplitude, which can then be squared to give the actual probability.

4. How do you interpret the energy values in an infinite square well potential?

The energy values in an infinite square well potential represent the allowed energy states of a particle confined to the well. The lowest energy state is called the ground state, and the higher energy states are called excited states.

5. Can the energy levels in an infinite square well potential take on any value?

No, the energy levels in an infinite square well potential are quantized, meaning they can only take on specific discrete values. This is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics and is a result of the particle being confined to a finite space.