Solve Integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi.

• MHB
  • Thread starter anemone
  • Start date
In summary, the formula for the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi is ∫ln(sin x) dx = -πln2. To solve this integral, one can use the substitution method with u = sin x, resulting in ∫ln u du = u(ln u - 1) + C. The integral is convergent, and it has various applications in mathematics and physics. Other methods, such as integration by parts or substitution with u = cos x, can also be used to solve this integral.
anemone
Gold Member
MHB
POTW Director
Evaluate the integral \(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} \ln (\sin x)\,dx\).

Remember to read the http://www.mathhelpboards.com/showthread.php?772-Problem-of-the-Week-%28POTW%29-Procedure-and-Guidelines to find out how to http://www.mathhelpboards.com/forms.php?do=form&fid=2!

Physics news on Phys.org
Congratulations to the following members for their correct solutions::)

1. MarkFL
2. Olok
3. lfdahl
3. chisigma

Solution from MarkFL:
We are given to evaluate:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\pi} \ln\left(\sin(x)\right)\,dx\)

By symmetry, we see that we may write:

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \ln\left(\sin(x)\right)\,dx\)

\(\displaystyle I=2\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \ln\left(\cos(x)\right)\,dx\)

Adding these two, and applying a double-angle identity for sine, and the properties of logs, we obtain:

\(\displaystyle I=\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}} \ln\left(\sin(2x)\right)-\ln(2)\,dx\)

using the substitution:

\(\displaystyle u=2x\,\therefore\,du=2\,dx\)

we then have:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi} \ln\left(\sin(u)\right)-\ln(2)\,du\)

Integrating term by term, we find:

\(\displaystyle I=\frac{1}{2}I-\frac{\pi}{2}\ln(2)\)

Solving for $I$, we get:

\(\displaystyle I=-\pi\ln(2)\)

And so, we may conclude:

\(\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} \ln\left(\sin(x)\right)\,dx=-\pi\ln(2)\)

Solution from lfdahl:
\[ \int_0^\pi \ln(\sin(x))dx = \int_0^\pi \ln(2\cos( \frac{x}{2} )\sin( \frac{x}{2} ))dx
\\\\
=\int_0^\pi \ln(2)dx+\int_0^\pi \ln(\cos( \frac{x}{2} ))dx+\int_0^\pi \ln(\sin( \frac{x}{2} )dx
\\\\=\pi \ln(2)+\int_{\frac{\pi}{2}}^{0}\ln(\cos(\frac{\pi -2u}{2})) d(\pi -2u)+\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln(\sin(\frac{2v}{2})d(2v)
\\\\
=\pi \ln(2)+2\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln(\sin(u))du+2\int_{0}^{\frac{\pi}{2}}\ln(\sin(v))dv
\\\\
=\pi \ln(2)+\int_{0}^{\pi}\ln(\sin(u))du + \int_{0}^{\pi}\ln(\sin(v))dv
\\\\
=\pi \ln(2)+2\int_{0}^{\pi}\ln(\sin(x))dx\]

Hence

\[ \int_{0}^{\pi}\ln(\sin(x))dx=-\pi \ln(2)\]

FAQ: Solve Integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi.

1. What is the formula for the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi?

The formula for the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi is ∫ln(sin x) dx = -πln2.

2. How do you solve the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi?

To solve the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi, you can use the substitution method by letting u = sin x and du = cos x dx. This will result in ∫ln u du = u(ln u - 1) + C. Substituting back in for u and evaluating at the limits of 0 and pi will give the final answer of -πln 2.

3. Is the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi convergent or divergent?

The integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi is convergent, as the function ln(sin x) is continuous and bounded on the interval [0, pi], meaning it has a finite area under the curve.

4. What is the significance of the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi?

The integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi has several applications in mathematics and physics. It can be used to solve problems involving exponential growth and decay, as well as in the calculation of the area under logarithmic curves. It also has connections to trigonometric identities and the Riemann zeta function.

5. Can the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi be solved using other methods?

Yes, the integral of ln(sin x) from 0 to pi can also be solved using integration by parts or the substitution method with u = cos x. However, the substitution method with u = sin x is generally the most efficient and straightforward method for solving this integral.

Back