Solve IQ Test Problem: Percent Adults Qualifying for MENSA Membership

• Thread starter alandry06
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Statistics
In summary, we are given the problem of determining what percentage of adults would qualify for membership in MENSA, given that their IQ scores must be 130 or higher. To solve this, we can use the 68-95-99.7 rule, which states that approximately 68% of the data falls within one standard deviation of the mean, 95% within two standard deviations, and 99.7% within three standard deviations. To begin, we must standardize the scores by using the formula Z = (X-\mu)/\sigma.
alandry06
The problem goes as such;

The scale of scores on an IQ test is approximately Normal with mean 100 and standard deviation 15. The organization MENSA, which calls itself "the high-IQ society," requires an IQ score of 130 or higher for membership. What percent of adults would qualify for membership?

I know I can use the 68-95-99.7 rule, but I am confused at where to begin.

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrong section, sorry.

alandry06 said:
The problem goes as such;

The scale of scores on an IQ test is approximately Normal with mean 100 and standard deviation 15. The organization MENSA, which calls itself "the high-IQ society," requires an IQ score of 130 or higher for membership. What percent of adults would qualify for membership?

I know I can use the 68-95-99.7 rule, but I am confused at where to begin.
Can you state the the 68-95-99.7 rule?

You have to standardize first, using Z=X-[tex]\mu[/tex][tex]/[/tex][tex]\sigma[/tex]

Lateral said:
You have to standardize first, using Z =
[itex](X-\mu)/\sigma[/itex] is what you must have meant.

FAQ: Solve IQ Test Problem: Percent Adults Qualifying for MENSA Membership

1. How is the percentage of adults qualifying for MENSA membership calculated?

The percentage of adults qualifying for MENSA membership is calculated by dividing the number of adults who have qualified for membership by the total number of adults in the population, and then multiplying by 100.

2. What is the average percentage of adults qualifying for MENSA membership?

The average percentage of adults qualifying for MENSA membership varies depending on the country or region being studied. However, on average, approximately 2% of the population qualifies for MENSA membership.

3. What factors affect the percentage of adults qualifying for MENSA membership?

The percentage of adults qualifying for MENSA membership can be affected by various factors such as the education level of the population, access to resources and opportunities, and cultural attitudes towards intelligence and education.

4. Can IQ test scores accurately predict MENSA membership qualification?

IQ test scores can be a good indicator of intelligence and potential for MENSA membership, but they are not the only factor considered. MENSA also takes into account other factors such as education, achievements, and personal accomplishments.

5. Is MENSA membership open to everyone who qualifies?

Yes, MENSA membership is open to anyone who scores in the top 2% of the population on a standardized IQ test. However, there may be additional criteria or requirements for joining local or special interest groups within MENSA.