Solve ivt for non-continuous functions

• Thread starter orangesun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Functions
In summary, we are given a non-increasing function f:[0,1]→[0,1] and we want to prove that there exists c∈[0,1] such that f(c)+c=1. We define A={x∈[0;1]:f(x)+x≥1} and c=infA. We show that c exists and that for any sequence xn in A converging to c, we have f(c)+xn≥1. From this, we deduce that f(c)+c≥1. If c=0, then f(c)+c≤1, and if c>0, then we can construct a sequence xn in A that converges to
orangesun

Homework Statement

We take f:[0,1]→[0,1] a non-increasing function, such that f(x)≥f(y) whenever x≤y; and we want to prove that there exists c∈[0,1] such that f(c)+c=1. We letA={x∈[0;1]:f(x)+x≥1} and we define c=infA.

a) explain why c exists

b)let xn be a sequence of elements of A that converges to c, prove that for all n,f(c)+xn≥1
c)deduce that f(c)+c≥1
d)if c=0 prove that f(c)+c≤1
e)if c>0, consider xn=c−1/n prove that f(c)+c≤1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Hi, I have been having trouble solving this question since the only information i could find online was using the IVT properties. Apparently this question should be solved without using the properties.
for
a) i have said that since the set A is bounded, and there is a lower bound, then there must be an inf for A and hence c must exsist
b) for b i am not quite sure, as i know that xn can be written in terms of c

So far i have solved something by the lines of:

since f(x) + x [0,1] and we are given to find f(x) + x [itex]\geq[/itex] 1,
f(0) + 0 [itex]\geq[/itex] 1;
f(1) + 1 [itex]\geq[/itex] 1;
hence f(1) [itex]\leq[/itex] c [itex]\leq[/itex] f(0)

I just need help and some direction on where to go next. I am really stuck. Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there, let me try to help you with this problem.

a) You are correct in saying that c exists because A is bounded and has a lower bound. In fact, A is a closed and bounded subset of [0,1], so c must exist by the completeness property of the real numbers.

b) To prove that f(c) + xn ≥ 1 for all n, let's start by looking at the definition of c. We know that c = infA, which means that for any ε > 0, there exists an element xε in A such that c ≤ xε < c + ε. Now, since xn is a sequence in A that converges to c, we know that for any ε > 0, there exists an index N such that for all n ≥ N, xn ∈ [c, c+ε). In other words, xn is always "close" to c. Now, using the non-increasing property of f, we can say that for all n ≥ N, f(c) ≥ f(xn). Combining this with the fact that xn ≥ c, we get f(c) + xn ≥ f(xn) + xn ≥ f(c) + c ≥ 1, where the last inequality follows from the definition of A. This holds for all n ≥ N, so it holds for the entire sequence.

c) From part b, we know that f(c) + xn ≥ 1 for all n. Taking the limit as n approaches infinity, we get f(c) + c ≥ 1, since xn converges to c.

d) If c = 0, then by definition, f(c) + c = f(0) + 0 = 1. So, f(c) + c ≤ 1.

e) If c > 0, then consider the sequence xn = c - 1/n. This sequence is in A, since for all n, f(xn) + xn = f(c - 1/n) + c - 1/n ≥ 1, where the inequality follows from the definition of A. Now, using the same argument as in part b, we can show that f(c) + xn ≥ 1 for all n, and taking the limit as n approaches infinity, we get f(c) + c ≤ 1.

Hope this helps!

FAQ: Solve ivt for non-continuous functions

1. What is the Intermediate Value Theorem (IVT)?

The Intermediate Value Theorem is a theorem in calculus that states that if a continuous function has different signs at two points, then it must have at least one root (zero) between those two points. In other words, if the function changes sign from positive to negative or vice versa, it must cross the x-axis at least once.

2. Does the IVT only apply to continuous functions?

Yes, the IVT only applies to continuous functions. A function is considered continuous if it has no breaks or jumps in its graph. If a function is not continuous, the IVT cannot be applied.

3. How is the IVT used to solve non-continuous functions?

The IVT can still be used to solve non-continuous functions, as long as the function is piecewise continuous. This means that it can be broken into smaller intervals where each interval is continuous. The IVT can then be applied to each interval separately to find the roots.

4. Are there any limitations to using the IVT to solve non-continuous functions?

Yes, there are limitations to using the IVT to solve non-continuous functions. It can only be used to find real roots, and it may not always give an exact solution. It also assumes that the function is continuous between the two given points, which may not always be the case.

5. Can the IVT be used to prove the existence of roots in non-continuous functions?

Yes, the IVT can be used to prove the existence of roots in non-continuous functions. By showing that the function changes sign from positive to negative or vice versa, it proves that there must be at least one root between the two points. However, it may not provide an exact solution for the root.

Back