Solve Linear Motor Equations - Calculate Power & Force

In summary, the person is trying to calculate the power required and resulting force for a linear motor, but they have been unsuccessful in finding the necessary equations. If you provide details of the linear motor you are considering, maybe someone will be able to help.
pbhuter
I am trying to calculate the power required and resulting force for a linear motor, but I have been unsuccessful in finding the necessary equations.

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you provide details of the linear motor you are considering, maybe someone will be able to help.

A tube with wire-wrapping to generate the magnetic fields which act on a magnetized cylinder. I would like to move the cylinder through the magnetized tube.

Thank you.

pbhuter said:
A tube with wire-wrapping to generate the magnetic fields which act on a magnetized cylinder. I would like to move the cylinder through the magnetized tube.
You have the youtube link? Otherwise, most engineers will associate the term with a 3 phase device.

Something like this:

I am specifically looking at the part where the brass rod is moving.

pbhuter said:
Something like this:

I am specifically looking at the part where the brass rod is moving.

You'll hardly find exact equations for something like that. Maybe, there are some aproximative formulae based on numerical simul, but I don't remember if I ever saw them. Sorry :(

pbhuter said:
Are there details of the construction? It appears that the brass tube houses 16 concealed magnets. That (upside-down so we can't see) circuit board houses his electronic circuitry. The two wires going to the coils may be multistrand, so actually 4 or more separate phases/wires.

Here is where I found the video. I was looking for a "how-to" on building a linear motor, and this was a top hit on Google.

http://hackaday.com/2013/02/04/building-a-linear-motor/

I liked it because it showed what I am looking for. But I cannot find anything on how to calculate the power required or the force generated. I imagine force is related to power and inductance (also related to power?), but I have been unable to find a set of equations to use in determining the design parameters.

That is the concept, but I am looking for how much power to apply, the magnetic field generated, and the total force exerted on the body moving through the tube. I believe there is some set of governing equations that I can use to describe the system, I just have not been able to find them. I will keep looking, though.

Related to Solve Linear Motor Equations - Calculate Power & Force

1. What is a linear motor equation?

A linear motor equation is a mathematical formula that is used to calculate the amount of power and force needed for a linear motor to function. This equation takes into account factors such as the motor's velocity, acceleration, and the mass of the object being moved.

2. How do I solve a linear motor equation?

To solve a linear motor equation, you will need to know the values for all of the variables involved, such as velocity, acceleration, and mass. Then, you can plug these values into the equation and solve for the unknown variable. It is important to use the correct units for each variable to ensure accurate results.

3. Why is it important to calculate power and force for a linear motor?

Calculating power and force for a linear motor is important because it allows us to determine if the motor is capable of moving an object at the desired speed and acceleration. It also helps us understand the energy requirements for the motor and can aid in designing more efficient systems.

4. What are the units for power and force in a linear motor equation?

The units for power in a linear motor equation are typically watts (W) or horsepower (hp). The units for force are usually represented in Newtons (N) or pounds (lb).

5. Can a linear motor equation be used for any type of linear motor?

Yes, a linear motor equation can be used for any type of linear motor as long as the variables in the equation are appropriate for that specific type of motor. Some linear motor equations may be more complex than others, depending on the type of motor being used.