Solve Markov Chain Problem: Find Initial Probability Vector p(1)

In summary, the problem is to get the initial probability vector from a long sequence of ones and zeros.
celestra
[SOLVED] Markov chain problem

Hi, all! This is not a homework thing or something like that. I'm just curious.

Suppose a Markov chain p(n+1)=Q*p(n), where Q=[q11, q12; q21, q22] is the transition probability matrix and p(n)=[p1(n);p2(n)] is the probability vector.

Given Q and p(1), we can generate a realization from it, i.e., a sequence of ones and zeros.

Now I want to do the inverse. Given a long enough sequence of ones and zeros, Q can be obtained by counting the number of changes from zero to zero(which will be q11), zero to one(q12), one to zero(q21), and one to one(q22). But, how can I get the initial probability vector p(1) from this sequence? Maximum Likelihood Estimation, blah blah? I don't know about that. Please, someone give me a clue how I can do this. Or is it impossible to do that from just only one realization sequence?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the realization r linked to p? If p1 > 0.5 then r = 1, otherwise r = 0?

Oh, I forgot that. The realization is not deterministic but stochastic through a kind of random number generation according to the probability vector. If p1=.4 and p2=.6, then the probability that a zero will come out is 40 percent and the probability that a one will come out is 60 percent.

So how do you construct your sequence of 1's and 0's? Toss a coin, with a 1 on one side and a 0 on the other?

It's a good idea. You can use any sequence if it is composed of zeros and ones.

For example, you are given this sequence: 010100101101001011010010111010.
Then, you can get Q as [3/14, 11/15; 11/14, 4/15].
And, I have no idea how I can get p(1) from this.
Additionally, is it possible anyway?

Two ideas:
1. assume uniform initial probability, p = 0.5
2. assume stationary Markov, then solve p = Qp.

It's impossible to completely determine the probability matrix from samples, even if we stipulate that it's a markov process, but it is possible to use statistics to find what the probabilities are likely to be.

Any probability matrix where all entries are non-zero is can produce any sequence. For example, a process with the probability matrix:
[tex]\[ \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{1}{2}& \frac{1}{2} \\
\frac{1}{2} & \frac{1}{2} \\ \end{array} \right]\] [/tex]
Will produce any particular sequence of length [itex]n[/itex] with probability [itex]\frac{1}{2^n}[/itex].

So, assuming even initial distribution it would generate 010100101101001011010010111010 about
[itex]\frac{1}{2^{30}}[/itex] of the time.

The probability matrix you produced
[tex]\[ \left[ \begin{array}{cc}
\frac{3}{14}& \frac{11}{15} \\
\frac{11}{14} & \frac{4}{15} \\ \end{array} \right]\] [/tex]
Is just the one that has the highest likelihood of producing the sequence you gave, but, because the sample is relatively small, there really isn't a whole lot confidence that it's correct.

This 'reversing probability' stuff is a bit more advanced.

What about MAP(Maximum A Posteriori) esimation, [tex]\hat{x}[/tex]=argmax[tex]p(x|y)[/tex], since we're interested in the random variable [tex]x[/tex], p(1) in this case, given data as the realization [tex]y[/tex], in this case the sequence? I feel like this will work. The a posteriori pdf [tex]p(x|y)[/tex] can be calculated using Bayes's theorem [tex]p(x|y)=\frac{p(y|x)}{p(y)}p(x)[/tex] where [tex]p(x)[/tex] is the a priori pdf, [tex]p(y)[/tex] is the marginal pdf, and [tex]p(y|x)[/tex] is proportional to the likelihood function. And we can put [tex]\left[\begin{array}{c} .5\\ .5\\ \end{array}\right][/tex] in the place of the a priori pdf [tex]p(x)[/tex] using maximum entropy principle as EnumaElish did in the first idea. But, I don't know how to calculate the rest of things. Now I'm seeking for the calculation in some books, but I haven't found yet. I guess it's just MLE(Maximum Likelihood Estimation) after all. But, I don't know how to do that.

Last edited:
I don't like the stationarity assumption because I want to deal with a sequence even like this: 010100100100000000000000000000000110100101.

Isn't there is a p that solves p = Qp for any arbitrary Q (hence an arbitrary sequence)?

I did a mistake. You're right EnumaElish. :wink: Any Q has it's own eigenvectors at least one. So your stationarity assumption will be okay. And it seems the best idea for my problem currently.

Related to Solve Markov Chain Problem: Find Initial Probability Vector p(1)

1. How do you find the initial probability vector p(1) for a Markov chain problem?

The initial probability vector p(1) can be found by dividing the number of times the system is in a certain state at the beginning of the process by the total number of states in the system. This will give you the probability of starting in each state.

2. What is the significance of the initial probability vector in a Markov chain problem?

The initial probability vector represents the starting point of the system and is used to calculate the probability of being in each state at any given step in the process. It is an important component in determining the long-term behavior of the system.

3. How do you represent the initial probability vector in a Markov chain problem?

The initial probability vector can be represented as a row vector with each element representing the probability of being in a specific state. It is often denoted as p(1) or π(0) in mathematical notation.

4. Can the initial probability vector p(1) be changed during the Markov chain process?

Yes, the initial probability vector can be changed if the system undergoes a transition or if the probabilities of being in certain states are updated. However, it is typically assumed to be constant throughout the process in most Markov chain problems.

5. How does the initial probability vector affect the steady-state probabilities in a Markov chain problem?

The initial probability vector can greatly influence the steady-state probabilities in a Markov chain problem. If the initial probability vector is close to the steady-state probabilities, the system will reach the steady state faster. If the initial probability vector is far from the steady-state probabilities, it may take longer for the system to reach equilibrium.