Solve Math Problems with Step-by-Step Solutions: Get Help for Numbers 2 & 4

• Thread starter Shay10825
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, You solve problem 1 and 3 correctly. You are not sure how to solve problem 2, but it looks like it may be a power series. For problem 4, you use the first four terms of the power series to find the true value.
Shay10825
Hello. I need help on these 4 problems. I wrote the problems out and showed my work for numbers 1 and 3. I have no clue how to do numbers 2 and 4. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

[img=http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/8426/calcth31tq.th.jpg]

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your solution to number 1 looks good.

For number 2: DO it! Let x= 1 in the power series. What do you get?
What is ln(1)? (The [itex]\int \frac{1}{x}dx[/itex] is an indefinite integral- it makes no sense to "let x= 1" there so just ignore it.)

For number 3, did you check the endpoints of the interval?

For number 4, the sum in 2 is alternating, + and -. Each partial sum lies BETWEEN the two previous ones so the infinite sum lies BETWEEN any two consecutive partial sums. Since you are asked to use only the first four terms, Calculate the sum of the first three terms, then the sum of the first four,with x= 1.2. The true value must lie between those values.

HallsofIvy said:
For number 2: DO it! Let x= 1 in the power series. What do you get? What is ln(1)?

I get 0 but how does that prove that C=0?

HallsofIvy said:
For number 3, did you check the endpoints of the interval?

When x= 0 i get:
-1 - 1/2 - 1/3 - 1/4 . . .
so it converges at 0

When x=2 i get:
1- 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 . . .
so it converges at 2 so then the answer would be [0,2] right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shay10825 said:
I get 0 but how does that prove that C=0?
You get 0 for two different things! ln(1)= 0 and the series on the right is just a sum of 0 for x= 1. What does the equation 0= C+ 0 tell you?

Shay10825 said:
When x= 0 i get:
-1 - 1/2 - 1/3 - 1/4 . . .
so it converges at 0
No! It doesn't!

When x=2 i get:
1- 1/2 + 1/3 - 1/4 . . .
so it converges at 2 so then the answer would be [0,2] right?

HallsofIvy said:
No! It doesn't!
How do you know that it diverges?

FAQ: Solve Math Problems with Step-by-Step Solutions: Get Help for Numbers 2 & 4

1. How does the step-by-step solution feature work?

The step-by-step solution feature uses algorithms and mathematical formulas to break down a math problem into smaller, more manageable steps. It then provides a detailed explanation and visual representation of each step, making it easier for the user to understand and follow along.

2. Can I use this tool for all types of math problems?

Yes, this tool can be used for a wide range of math problems, including algebra, geometry, calculus, and more. However, it is important to note that the tool may not have solutions for every single type of problem. It is always best to double-check your work and consult with a teacher or tutor if you are unsure.

3. How accurate are the solutions provided?

The solutions provided by this tool are based on mathematical algorithms and formulas, so they are generally very accurate. However, it is important to note that human error and typos can still occur. It is always a good idea to double-check your work and consult with a teacher or tutor if you are unsure.

4. Can I save my progress and come back to it later?

Unfortunately, the step-by-step solution feature does not have a save function. However, you can take screenshots or write down the steps to refer back to later if needed.

5. Is there a limit to the number of problems I can solve?

No, there is no limit to the number of problems you can solve using this tool. Feel free to use it as many times as you need to practice and improve your math skills.

Back