Solve Mesh Analysis Problem with a Current Source

• Thread starter julz127
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mesh
In summary, the conversation is about a circuit simulation where the currents calculated using mesh analysis do not match up with the hand calculations. The person is unsure how to handle the current source and provides the equations for each mesh. They also mention using an online calculator to eliminate the possibility of error. The person then realizes their mistake and successfully solves the circuit.
julz127

Homework Statement

[PLAIN]http://img718.imageshack.us/img718/3519/circuith.png

This is a circuit I've simulated in pSpice, I can't get the currents to match up with my hand calculations using mesh analyses. Specifically, I'm not entirely sure how to handle the current source.

Homework Equations

Mesh 1 is far left, mesh 2 is the center and mesh the is the far right.

Mesh 1.

[itex]18 = 15i_{1} + 30(i_{1} - i_{2})[/itex]

Mesh 2.

[itex] 0 = 10i_{2} + 20(i_{2} - i_{3}) + 30(i_{2} - i_{1})[/itex]

Mesh 3.

[itex] 30 = 40i_{3} + 20(i_{3} - i_{2}) [/itex]

finally, putting all this in a matrix ( I'm using an online calculator, to eliminate the possibility of an error here, but I do know how to do it by hand ).

I get,

[itex]
i_{1} = 0.407A
[/itex]
[itex]
i_{2} = 0.010A
[/itex]
[itex]
i_{3} =-0.580A
[/itex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the 10Ω resistor term in the second mesh, include the current of the current source as though it were another mesh's current. Thus
[tex]0 = 10(i_{2} - I1) + 20(i_{2} - i_{3}) + 30(i_{2} - i_{1}) [/tex]
where I1 is the value of the current source.

Thanks for the reply, however I managed to solve the circuit just a few minutes after I posted it.

I realized that I've been looking at this whole mesh analyses technique the wrong way.

A huge 'lightbulb' moment. Feels good man.

:biggrin:

FAQ: Solve Mesh Analysis Problem with a Current Source

1. What is mesh analysis and how is it used to solve problems?

Mesh analysis is a method used to solve circuit problems by using Kirchhoff's Voltage Law (KVL) to find the unknown currents in a circuit. It involves dividing the circuit into smaller loops, or meshes, and writing equations based on KVL for each mesh. These equations are then solved simultaneously to find the unknown currents in the circuit.

2. Can mesh analysis be used for circuits with a current source?

Yes, mesh analysis can be used for circuits with a current source. The current source is treated as a branch with a known current, and it is included in the equations written for each mesh.

3. What is the difference between a voltage source and a current source in mesh analysis?

In mesh analysis, a voltage source is treated as a branch with a known voltage, and it is included in the equations written for each mesh. A current source, on the other hand, is treated as a branch with a known current, and it is also included in the equations for each mesh.

4. Are there any limitations to using mesh analysis to solve circuit problems?

Yes, there are some limitations to using mesh analysis. It can only be used for circuits with a single current source and no more than one voltage source. Additionally, the circuit must be planar, meaning all elements and branches must be in the same plane.

5. Can mesh analysis be used to solve circuits with nonlinear elements?

No, mesh analysis can only be used for circuits with linear elements. Nonlinear elements, such as diodes and transistors, require more advanced analysis techniques.