Solve Mesh Current: Find iΔ from v/R & 5mA +15.4*i1-5.4i2=0

• Thread starter orangeincup
  • Start date
In summary, solving for mesh current is important for determining the current flow in individual loops or meshes in a circuit. This information is crucial for analyzing and designing complex circuits. To find iΔ in a mesh current problem, we can use Ohm's Law and Kirchhoff's Current Law. The 5mA and 15.4*i1-5.4i2=0 terms in the equation represent a current source and voltage drop, respectively, and are essential in determining the overall current flow. Kirchhoff's Current Law is necessary in solving for mesh currents as it allows us to set up equations and solve for the currents in a systematic manner. The mesh current method can be applied to all types of circuits, including complex
orangeincup

Homework Statement

Use mesh current to solver for iΔ

Homework Equations

v1+v2+... vn=0
i=v/R

The Attempt at a Solution

5mA+15.4*i1-5.4i2=0
9.1*i2+5.42*i1-150iΔ=0

Now I have two equations and three unknowns and I'm unsure how I should proceed. Also, how do I tell what polarity the individual currents are, assuming my reference is a clockwise voltage?

Physics news on Phys.org
It would help if you would post a circuit diagram.

Related to Solve Mesh Current: Find iΔ from v/R & 5mA +15.4*i1-5.4i2=0

What is the purpose of solving for mesh current?

Solving for mesh current allows us to determine the current flowing in each individual loop or mesh in a circuit. This information is crucial for analyzing and designing complex circuits.

How do you find iΔ from v/R in a mesh current problem?

We can use Ohm's Law (v = iR) to find the current, i, by dividing the voltage, v, by the resistance, R. This will give us the total current in the circuit, and we can then use Kirchhoff's Current Law to determine the individual mesh currents.

What is the significance of the 5mA and 15.4*i1-5.4i2=0 terms in the equation?

The 5mA term represents a current source in the circuit, while the 15.4*i1-5.4i2=0 term represents the voltage drop across a specific resistor. These terms are essential in determining the overall current flow in the circuit.

Why is it necessary to use Kirchhoff's Current Law in solving for mesh currents?

Kirchhoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node (or a point in a circuit) must be equal to zero. This law allows us to set up equations and solve for the mesh currents in a systematic manner.

Can the mesh current method be applied to all types of circuits?

Yes, the mesh current method can be applied to any type of circuit, including complex circuits with multiple loops and branches. It is a powerful tool for analyzing and designing electrical circuits.