Solve Min Cost of Fencing Rectangular Land w/ 2 Eqns

• Thread starter Chocolaty
  • Start date
In summary, we are trying to find the minimum cost for fencing a rectangular piece of land with one side bordered by a road and the other side bordered by a river. By setting up two equations and using related rates, we can reduce the variables in the cost function. We then use the first derivative to find the critical numbers, which are potential locations for the minimum cost. Finally, we use the second derivative to determine if the critical number is a minimum or maximum point. In this particular example, the minimum cost is $720 with dimensions of 120 feet by 90 feet.
Chocolaty
Ok we're doing optimization, i don't understand why you have to derive, it just doesn't come naturally to me, like it's not something i instinctively think of doing...

My example

A company wants to fence a rectangular piece of land that is bordered on one side by a road and by a river on the opposite side. There will be no fence along the river. The fence along the road costs $3 per foot and the fence along the other two sites costs $2 per foot. If the rectangular piece of land must have an area of 10800 square feet, find the dimensions that will give the minimum cost. What is the minimum cost?

I understand the need to use 2 equations like in related rates to help reduce, in this case, the number of variables in the cost function.

Eq#1: Min C = 3x + 4y
Eq#2: xy = 10800
y = 10800/x
Min C = 3x + 4(10800/x)
Min C = 3x + 43200/x [x > 0]

At this point... he derives, but why?
C' = 3 - 43200/(x^2)

Now he finds the critical numbers, why? And also, how can you just take the right side of the equation of C' to do that?
CN: 3 = 43200/(x^2)
3x^2 = 43200
x^2 = 14400
x = 120

Now he finds the second derivitive, again, why?
C'' = 86400/(x^3)
C(120) > 0 => x = 120 will give Min C

Ans: x = 120, y = 90, Min C = $720

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind guys i found out. The reason why you need to find the first derivative is not "because it's fun" but because it's the only way to find the critical numbers (which are candidates for rel. maximum and rel. minimum). So you find your first derivative then you find the critical numbers, which in this cases is x = 120. After that you find the second derivative to find if this point (where x = 120) is located in a concave or concave down part of the graph. If when you find the second derivative of this point it's > 0 then it's a minimum for sure. If it's < 0 then it's a maximum for sure.

FAQ: Solve Min Cost of Fencing Rectangular Land w/ 2 Eqns

1. How do you calculate the minimum cost of fencing a rectangular land with 2 equations?

The minimum cost of fencing a rectangular land with 2 equations can be calculated by first finding the perimeter of the land using the given equations. Then, multiply the perimeter by the cost per unit length of fencing to get the total cost. This method takes into account the length and width of the land and the cost of each unit of fencing.

2. What is the significance of using 2 equations in solving for the minimum cost of fencing?

Using 2 equations allows us to find the dimensions of the rectangular land that will result in the minimum cost of fencing. One equation represents the perimeter of the land, while the other represents the cost function. By setting these equations equal to each other, we can find the optimal dimensions for the land that will minimize the cost of fencing.

3. Can this problem be solved with only one equation?

No, this problem requires 2 equations to be solved accurately. Using only one equation will not take into account both the dimensions and the cost of fencing, resulting in an incorrect solution.

4. How can this problem be extended to include different types of fencing materials?

This problem can be extended by assigning a cost per unit length for each type of fencing material. Then, the total cost would be calculated by multiplying the respective cost per unit length with the perimeter of the land. This approach would provide the minimum cost for different types of fencing materials.

5. What other factors should be considered when determining the minimum cost of fencing a rectangular land?

Other factors that should be considered include the terrain of the land, the availability and cost of labor, and any additional costs such as gates or corners. These factors can greatly impact the overall cost of fencing and should be taken into account when making a decision.

Back