Solve Min-Max Problem: Find Optimal Price of Single Call

• MHB
  • Thread starter Yankel
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the optimal cost for a single phone call in order to maximize income. It is mentioned that for every 5 cent increase in price, the average number of calls decreases by 10, resulting in a decrease in income. The final answer is determined to be 0.75 USD, and a function is suggested to calculate the income based on the cost of a call.
Yankel
Hello, I need some help with this simple question, don't know why I got it wrong...

The price of a single phone call is 0.5\$ and the average number of calls made in a month is 200.

For each 5 cent of price increment, the average number of calls made by the customers decreases by 10.

Find what should be the cost of a single call so that the income will be maximal.

I know I need to build up a function and then find derivative and all that, I just can't build the right function...
The final answer is by the way 0.75\$.

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Yankel said:
Hello, I need some help with this simple question, don't know why I got it wrong...

The price of a single phone call is 0.5 USD and the average number of calls made in a month is 200.

For each 5 cent of price increment, the average number of calls made by the customers decreases by 10.

Find what should be the cost of a single call so that the income will be maximal.

I know I need to build up a function and then find derivative and all that, I just can't build the right function...
The final answer is by the way 0.75$.

Thank you

1. Please don't use the dollar sign.

2. Let x be the number of 5-cts-increment. Then the income is determined by:

$ \displaystyle{f(x)=(0.5 + 0.05 \cdot x)(200-10x)} $

3. Go ahead!

Related to Solve Min-Max Problem: Find Optimal Price of Single Call

1. What is the Min-Max Problem?

The Min-Max Problem is a mathematical optimization problem where the goal is to find the minimum and maximum value of a function within a given set of constraints. It is often used in decision-making and game theory.

2. What is the Optimal Price in a Single Call?

The optimal price in a single call refers to the price that maximizes the profit or minimizes the cost for a particular product or service. It is determined by using the Min-Max Problem to find the best combination of price and demand.

3. What factors are considered when solving the Min-Max Problem for the optimal price?

When solving the Min-Max Problem for the optimal price, factors such as production costs, market demand, competition, and consumer preferences are taken into consideration. These factors help to determine the price point that will result in the highest profit or lowest cost.

4. How is the Min-Max Problem solved?

The Min-Max Problem is solved using various mathematical techniques such as linear programming, dynamic programming, and game theory. These methods involve setting up mathematical models and using algorithms to find the optimal solution.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Min-Max Problem?

The Min-Max Problem has many real-world applications, including pricing strategies for businesses, resource allocation in project management, and decision-making in game theory and economics. It can also be used in fields such as engineering, logistics, and finance to optimize processes and minimize costs.