Solve Newton's Second Law: Find Angle of Elevation w/ 1.86cm Blocks

In summary, the problem involves finding the angle of elevation of a 1.00-m long track using two calibrated elevation blocks with a combined thickness of 1.86 cm. It is unclear what the thickness refers to and the student is having trouble drawing the corresponding diagram. There may be a connection to Newton's Second Law of Motion as this is a pre-lab question for a lab with that title. However, the question seems incomplete without more context.
oceanflavored

Homework Statement

Two calibrated elevation blocks have a combined thickness of 1.86 cm. Find the angle of elevation of the 1.00-m long track for this situation.

Homework Equations

F = ma?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a LOT of trouble, even beginning to draw the picture for this problem. I think if someone could help me draw the picture, I would be good to go :)
Aaaaand, I'm not exactly sure what the 'thickness' refers to? The weight?

I know that I haven't really provided a good enough attempt at a solution :/ But it's because I am honestly really lost as to where I even begin. Any help at all would be greatly appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a diagram, I'm just guessing that the right end of the track is elevated 1.86 cm above the left end, creating an incline sloping upward at a small angle. Use trig to find the angle, I guess. Is there another part to this problem that requires you to use Newton's law?

PhanthomJay said:
Is there another part to this problem that requires you to use Newton's law?

Yes, what does Newton's second law have to do with this? :confused:

Have you missed out part of the question? … it doesn't seem to make sense on it own. :redface:

Hmmm...
Well, this is one of our pre-labs question. And the lab is titled: Newton's Second Law of Motion. So I figured it had something to do with Newton's Laws?
Also, why do they include the thickness of the blocks, if it's just a simple trig question? :confused:

FAQ: Solve Newton's Second Law: Find Angle of Elevation w/ 1.86cm Blocks

1. What is Newton's Second Law?

Newton's Second Law, also known as the law of acceleration, states that the force exerted on an object is directly proportional to its mass and the acceleration produced.

2. How do I solve for the angle of elevation with 1.86cm blocks?

To solve for the angle of elevation, you will need to know the mass and acceleration of the object and the magnitude of the force acting on it. You can then use the formula F=ma to calculate the force, and then use the angle of elevation formula to find the angle.

3. Why is it important to solve for the angle of elevation?

The angle of elevation is important because it helps us understand the motion of an object and the forces acting on it. It can also help us determine the trajectory of an object and predict its future motion.

4. What are some common units used to measure force and acceleration?

Force is typically measured in Newtons (N), while acceleration can be measured in meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²).

5. Can Newton's Second Law be applied to objects of any size?

Yes, Newton's Second Law can be applied to objects of any size, as long as they have mass and are experiencing acceleration. However, for very small objects at the atomic level, other laws such as quantum mechanics may need to be considered.