Solve Nodal Analysis Circuit: Find Voltage in All Nodes

In summary, the conversation revolves around solving a circuit using nodal analysis. The speaker created 2 supernodes and wrote equations for the remaining 3 nodes. However, when attempting to solve the equations, they obtained different results from what was expected. After receiving a suggestion to put parentheses around the terms for supernode sub-nodes, the speaker was able to solve the circuit correctly.
asgerbj
I need to solve this circuit using nodal analysis (find the voltage in all nodes), but i need the actual equations used to solve it.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/202411/p2/circuit328.png
All supplied information is there.

What I've done is to create 2 supernodes, like this
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/202411/p2/circuit328-calc.png

And write the following equations for the three nodes that i have left.
[itex]\frac{V1}{2k}+\frac{V1-V2+6}{2k}= 9mA[/itex]
[itex]\frac{V2}{1k}+ 9mA +\frac{V2+6-V1}{2k}+\frac{V2+6-V3}{1k}= 2mA [/itex]
[itex]\frac{V3-V2+6}{1k}+\frac{V3}{1k}+\frac{V3+89}{1k}+2mA = 0[/itex]

When i try to solve these equations i get V1 = -5.8V, V2=-23V, V3=-40V
I tried to draw the circuit in LTSpice, and the result should be V1=2V, V2=-20V, V3=-35V

What did i do wrong? I've been trying to redo the circuit several times for more than 1½ hour now, but don't get the right answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's a good idea to get into the habit of putting parentheses around the terms corresponding to supernode sub-nodes. That way mathematical operation ordering is maintained when you write your expressions. In your first node equation, for example, note that V1 - V2 + 6 is not the same as V1 - (V2 + 6) :wink:

gneill said:
It's a good idea to get into the habit of putting parentheses around the terms corresponding to supernode sub-nodes. That way mathematical operation ordering is maintained when you write your expressions. In your first node equation, for example, note that V1 - V2 + 6 is not the same as V1 - (V2 + 6) :wink:

oh god... i can't believe i spend so much time on this... .. thanks, that solved it :)

Related to Solve Nodal Analysis Circuit: Find Voltage in All Nodes

1. What is nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is a method used to analyze and solve electrical circuits by examining the voltage at each individual node in the circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law which states that the sum of currents entering a node is equal to the sum of currents leaving that node.

2. How do you perform nodal analysis?

To perform nodal analysis, you need to follow these steps:

• Identify all the nodes in the circuit and label them.
  • Choose one node as the reference node, usually the one with the most connected components.
  • Write out the Kirchhoff's Current Law equation for each non-reference node, using the reference node as the starting point.
  • Solve the resulting system of equations to find the voltages at each node.

3. What are the advantages of using nodal analysis?

Nodal analysis is advantageous because it can be used to solve circuits with multiple voltage sources and complex topologies. It also allows for the calculation of individual node voltages, which can be useful for troubleshooting and designing circuits.

4. Are there any limitations to nodal analysis?

One limitation of nodal analysis is that it can only be used for circuits with a single reference node. Additionally, if the circuit has dependent sources (sources that depend on other circuit variables), then additional equations may be needed to solve for the node voltages.

5. Can nodal analysis be used for circuits with non-linear components?

No, nodal analysis can only be used for circuits with linear components. Non-linear components, such as diodes and transistors, require more advanced techniques for circuit analysis.