Solve Node Voltage Analysis: I1, I2, I3 Values

In summary, voltage analysis can be used to determine the values of I1, I2, and I3. If a current has a negative value, then the reference direction chosen was incorrect and the current is positive in the opposite direction.
jdawg

Homework Statement

Use node voltage analysis to determine values for I1, I2, and I3. If a current has a negative value, then the reference direction chosen was incorrect and the current is positive in the opposite direction.

I attached a picture of the circuit. The things in blue (current ix and the nodes A and B) are what I put in the circuit when I was trying to solve it. They weren't in the original drawing of the circuit.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assume currents entering a node are negative and currents leaving a node are positive. Assume voltage rise as positive and a voltage drop as negative.

I started by doing a nodal analysis at Node A:

-ix+ (VA-VRef)/(10)+(VA-VB)/(20)=0

ix=(28-VA)/(10)

Substituted in ix and then simplified to get this:
5VA-VB=56

Here's the part I'm not really confident about:

At node B:
(VB-VA)/(20)+(VB)/(5)=10mA

I keep getting a ridiculously small number. I guess it kind of makes since since I have mA and kΩ, but I just feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• circuit1.pdf
    335.5 KB · Views: 284
Physics news on Phys.org
If you're going to scale the resistances (such as writing 20 for 20 kΩ), then you'll need to scale current as well, and the 10 mA current source in particular. It's not clear if you've done that or not, since you left the "mA" unit in the node equation for node B and didn't show any follow on work.

What values are you getting for ##V_A## and ##V_B##?

Likes jdawg
Ohhh awesome, thanks! I think I just wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was doing. This is what I have now: VA =20 volts and VB=44 volts. Do you think that makes sense?

jdawg said:
Ohhh awesome, thanks! I think I just wasn't paying close enough attention to what I was doing. This is what I have now: VA =20 volts and VB=44 volts. Do you think that makes sense?
Yes, looks quite reasonable.

Likes jdawg
Thanks so much for your help! :)

jdawg said:
Thanks so much for your help! :)
You're very welcome :smile:

Related to Solve Node Voltage Analysis: I1, I2, I3 Values

1. What is Node Voltage Analysis?

Node Voltage Analysis is a method used in circuit analysis to determine the voltage at each node (connection point) in a circuit. It is based on Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law.

2. How is Node Voltage Analysis different from other circuit analysis methods?

Node Voltage Analysis is different from other methods, such as Mesh Analysis, in that it focuses on the voltages at each node in the circuit instead of the currents through each branch. This can be useful when analyzing circuits with many branches and nodes.

3. How do you solve for I1, I2, and I3 using Node Voltage Analysis?

To solve for I1, I2, and I3 using Node Voltage Analysis, you need to first label each node in the circuit and assign a reference node. Then, you can use Kirchhoff's Current Law and Ohm's Law to write equations for each node. These equations can then be solved simultaneously to find the values of I1, I2, and I3.

4. Can Node Voltage Analysis be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources?

Yes, Node Voltage Analysis can be used for circuits with multiple voltage sources. The voltage sources can be included in the equations for each node by using the voltage division formula.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using Node Voltage Analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using Node Voltage Analysis include: forgetting to label nodes and reference nodes, using incorrect signs for voltage and current values, and not including all voltage sources in the equations for each node.