Solve Obtuse Trignometry Problems - Get a Headstart w/ Vijay

• Thread starter vijay123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trignometry
In summary, to find the value of cosA and tanA when sinA = 2/(sqrt of 5), draw a triangle with one side 2 and hypotenuse 1/(sqrt of 5) and use the Pythagorean theorem to find the third side. Then use the fact that the angle is obtuse (and so in the second quadrant) to determine the sign. To find the values of sinA and cosA when tanA = -5/12 and tanA and cosA have opposite signs, draw a triangle with one side -5 and hypotenuse 12 and use the Pythagorean theorem to find the third side. Then use the fact that the angle is in the third
vijay123
1) given that A is obstuse and that sinA=2/(sqaureroot of 5). find the value of cosA and tanA.
2)given that tanA=-5/12 and that tanA and cosA have opposite signs, find the values of sinA and of cosA.

CAN SOMEONE TEACH ME EXACTLY HOW TO DO THESE PROBLEMS WITHOUT USING TRGNOMETRIC IDENTITES.PLEASE...I AM NEW TO THIS TOPIC AND I WANT TO GET A HEADSTART OVER MY PEERS.
THANKS A LOT
VIJAY

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, if A is obtuse, what sign will sin, cos, and tan of the angle A take (is it positive or negative?). You can take a look at the unit circle to see. Given sin A, one can manage finding cos A using Pythagorean Identity, i.e:
sin2 A + cos2 A = 1.
Having sin A, and cos A, can you find tan A? [tex]\tan A = \frac{\sin A}{\cos A}[/tex]
I'll give you an example:
A is an acute angle. Given that sin A = 1 / 5. Find cos A, and tan A
Since A is an acite angle (i.e < 900), cos A must be positive. Using the Pythagorean Identity, we have:
[tex]\sin ^ 2 A + \cos ^ 2 A = 1[/tex]
[tex]\Leftrightarrow \cos ^ 2 A = 1 - \sin ^ 2 A = 1 - \frac{1}{25} = \frac{24}{25}[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow \cos A = \pm \frac{\sqrt{24}}{5}[/tex]
Since cos A is positive, we choose:
[tex]\cos A = \frac{\sqrt{24}}{5}[/tex]
We have:
[tex]\tan A = \frac{\sin A}{\cos A} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{24}}[/tex]
Can you go from here? :)

Thanks A Lot For The Solution

vietdao...but is there any other way of doing such problems withou using the trignometric identities...because this problem is printed before the worksheet on trignometric identities...?

yes..thanks a lot...i can do it at last...but...does obtuse mean it is in the second quadrant?

vijay123 said:
1) given that A is obstuse and that sinA=2/(sqaureroot of 5). find the value of cosA and tanA.
2)given that tanA=-5/12 and that tanA and cosA have opposite signs, find the values of sinA and of cosA.

CAN SOMEONE TEACH ME EXACTLY HOW TO DO THESE PROBLEMS WITHOUT USING TRGNOMETRIC IDENTITES.PLEASE...I AM NEW TO THIS TOPIC AND I WANT TO GET A HEADSTART OVER MY PEERS.
THANKS A LOT
VIJAY

Hello there ,
First thing in determining the signs , i suggest you a quadrant . Hence , there will be a first quadrant , second quandrant , third and fourth . Marking each quadrants , from 3 o'clock ( anticlockwise direction ) A , S , T , C (Where A=all postive , S=Only Sinus Postive , T=Only Tangent Positive , C=Only Cosinus Positive) .
Next you can then determine which quadrant the question is referring to . You can do without using trigonometric identities =) Try drawing and labelling the coordinates of your triangle , you should be able to find the answer =) Beware of the + and - signs .

ok...thanks a lot..

Draw a picture. Since you know [itex]sin(x)= \frac{2}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex] and sine is "opposite over hypotenuse", draw a right triangle with one side 2 and hypotenuse [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{5}}[/itex]. You can use the Pythagorean theorem to find the third side and calculate all the other functions from that. Then use the fact that the angle is obtuse (and so in the second quadrant) to determine the sign.

yea...i get it...there r two ways of doing it..thanska lot

Related to Solve Obtuse Trignometry Problems - Get a Headstart w/ Vijay

What is trigonometry?

Trigonometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the relationships between the sides and angles of triangles. It is used to solve problems involving angles and distances, and is essential in fields such as engineering, surveying, and physics.

What is an obtuse angle?

An obtuse angle is an angle that measures between 90 and 180 degrees. It is larger than a right angle (90 degrees) and smaller than a straight angle (180 degrees).

How do you solve obtuse trigonometry problems?

To solve an obtuse trigonometry problem, you will need to use the sine, cosine, and tangent ratios. These ratios relate the sides of a right triangle to its angles. You will also need to use the Pythagorean theorem to find missing side lengths.

Why is it important to solve obtuse trigonometry problems?

Obtuse trigonometry problems are important because they allow us to solve real-world problems involving angles and distances. For example, they can be used to calculate the height of a building, the distance between two points, or the slope of a hill.

How can I get a headstart in solving obtuse trigonometry problems?

To get a headstart in solving obtuse trigonometry problems, it is important to have a strong understanding of basic trigonometric concepts such as sine, cosine, and tangent. It is also helpful to practice solving different types of trigonometry problems and to use visual aids such as diagrams or graphs to better understand the problem.