Solve OpAmp Symbolic Gain: KVL/KCL

• Thread starter Learnphysics
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gain Opamp
In summary: Could you check that and let me know if that's correct?Yes, Vo/Vi = [(R1*R2)+(R4*R2)-(R3*R2)-(R1*R3)-(R4*R3)]/(R1*R2)In summary, the gain of an Op-AMP is the voltage gain at the output.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

What is the gain of this Op-AMP. Express symbolically (Eg. in terms of R1, R2..)

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/3389/opampproblem.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Homework Equations

KVL/KCL

The Attempt at a Solution

i1=i2

Vx (the voltage at the middle node)

i2 = Vi/R1 = i1

i3 = Vx/R2

Vx = Vi + i2*R4

KCL at middle node:
i2 + i3 = i4.

Vo = Vx + i4(R3)

substituting things in, in place of the currents.

Vo = Vi + i2(R4) + i4(R3)

Vo = Vi + (Vi/R1)(R4) + i4(R3)

i4 = i2+i3.

i4 = Vi/R1 + (Vi + (Vi/R1)*R4)/R2

Vo = Vi + (Vi/R1)(R4) + (Vi/R1 + (Vi + (Vi/R1)*R4)/R2) (R3)

Vo/Vin = (1/R1) + (R3/R1) + [R3 + (R4*R3)/R1]/R2

But the answer is apparently
((R1+R4)*(R2+R3)+R2*R3)/(R1*R2)

is there some Flaw in my reasoning? or have i just made a calcualtion/algebra error?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't identified I1, I2, I3 and I4. Looking over your equations, apparently I1 is the current in R1, I2 is the current in R2, etc. When you're asking for help, you should provide a schematic with the currents and voltages identified. Otherwise, those who would help you may see that you are asking them to make assumptions, and they may just not bother.

Your first problem is that you are assuming that I1 = I2. For this to be true, R1+R4 would have to be equal to R2. Looking at the resistor network, we see that since no current can leave the network through the minus input to the opamp, the current leaving the network through R1 and R2 must equal the current entering through R3.

I haven't considered what else you have done. Fix your error and try again.

OK. For the current directions you've indicated, your first error is a sign error. This is very common for people just learning circuit analysis, and you must be very careful with your signs.

You have I1=I2, but for the current directions indicated, I1 = -I2, because according to KCL, I1 + I2 = 0. You can't have two currents leaving a node and no currents entering.

Further on, you have Vo = Vx + i4(R3).

This should be Vo = Vx - i4(R3).

I'm assuming you're using "conventional" current where the current is assumed to flow from + to - through a resistor, which is the customary assumption.

Re-calculate your problem, with due care in regard to the signs.

The Electrician said:
OK. For the current directions you've indicated, your first error is a sign error. This is very common for people just learning circuit analysis, and you must be very careful with your signs.

You have I1=I2, but for the current directions indicated, I1 = -I2, because according to KCL, I1 + I2 = 0. You can't have two currents leaving a node and no currents entering.

Further on, you have Vo = Vx + i4(R3).

This should be Vo = Vx - i4(R3).

I'm assuming you're using "conventional" current where the current is assumed to flow from + to - through a resistor, which is the customary assumption.

Re-calculate your problem, with due care in regard to the signs.

i1= -i2

-i2 = (Vi/R1)

-i3 = Vx/R2 <= Vx being the voltage at the middle node

-i2 -i3 = i4

Vx = Vi -i2(R4)

Vo = Vx - i4(R3)

Vx = Vi +(Vi/R1)(R4)

i4= (Vi/R1) + (Vx/R2)

Vo = Vi +(Vi/R1)(R4) -[(Vi/R1) + (Vx/R2)]*R3

Am i on the right track so far?

For your fourth equation you have: -i2 -i3 = i4

KCL says that the sum of all the currents entering a node is zero.

That means that I2 + I3 + (-I4) = 0, or I2 + I3 = I4, or -I2 -I3 = -I4

Once more into the breach!

The Electrician said:
For your fourth equation you have: -i2 -i3 = i4

KCL says that the sum of all the currents entering a node is zero.

That means that I2 + I3 + (-I4) = 0, or I2 + I3 = I4, or -I2 -I3 = -I4

Once more into the breach!

Ah... Thanks for helping btw...

Is there any kind of... system or set of practices i can use to make sure these little sign errors don't happen or is it just something that gets better with practice.i1= -i2

i2 = -(Vi/R1)

i3 = -(Vx/R2) <= Vx being the voltage at the middle node

i2 + i3 = i4

Vx = Vi -i2(R4)

Vo = Vx - i4(R3)Vx = Vi + (Vi/R1)(R4)

-i4= (Vi/R1) +(Vx/R2)

Vo = Vi +(Vi/R1)(R4) -[(Vi/R1) + ({Vi + (Vi/R1)(R4})/R2)]*R3

Last edited:
It gets better with practice.

Have you tried to put your last expression in the form Vo/Vi = ...?

I ended up getting

Vo/Vin = [(R1*R2)+(R4*R2)-(R3*R2)-(R1*R3)-(R4*R3)]/(R1*R2)

This looks rather similar to the correct answer, but some of the signs don't match up.

Look back carefully at how you got:

I think it should be:

Vo = Vi +(Vi/R1)(R4) +[(Vi/R1) + ({Vi + (Vi/R1)(R4})/R2)]*R3

Does that fix your problem?

The Electrician said:
Look back carefully at how you got:

I think it should be:

Vo = Vi +(Vi/R1)(R4) +[(Vi/R1) + ({Vi + (Vi/R1)(R4})/R2)]*R3

Does that fix your problem?

After a few re-tries i think i got it looking like that. I suppose i need a little more raw practice dancing with these voltages/resistances.

Thanks for your help!

[tex]I_1\,=\,\frac{V_i}{R_1}\,=\,-\,I_4[/tex]

[tex]I_2\,=\,\frac{V_x}{R_2}[/tex]

[tex]I_4\,=\,I_2\,+\,I_3\,\longrightarrow\,I_3\,=\,I_4\,-\,I_2\,\longrightarrow\,I_3\,=\,-\,\frac{V_i}{R_1}\,-\,\frac{V_x}{R_2}[/tex]

[PLAIN]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4164/pfhwhelpopampcircuit.jpg

Now we need some voltage equations...

[tex]-\,R_1\,I_1\,+\,R_4\,I_4\,+\,R_3\,I_3\,+\,V_0\,=\,0\,\longrightarrow\,V_0\,=\,R_1\,I_1\,-\,R_4\,I_4\,-\,R_3\,I_3\,\longrightarrow\,V_0\,=\,R_1\,\left(\frac{V_i}{R_1}\right)\,-\,R_4\,\left(-\,\frac{V_i}{R_1}\right)\,-\,R_3\,\left(-\,\frac{V_i}{R_1}\,-\,\frac{V_x}{R_2}\right)[/tex]

[tex]V_0\,=\,V_i\,+\,V_i\,\frac{R_4}{R_1}\,+\,V_i\,\frac{R_3}{R_1}\,+\,V_x\,\frac{R_3}{R_2}\,\longrightarrow\,V_0\,=\,V_i\,\left(1\,+\,\frac{R_4}{R_1}\,+\,\frac{R_3}{R_1}\right)\,+\,V_x\,\left(\frac{R_3}{R_2}\right)[/tex]

Now we need an expression for [itex]V_x[/itex] in terms of [itex]V_i[/itex]...

[tex]V_x\,=\,V_i\,-\,R_4\,I_4\,\longrightarrow\,V_x\,=\,V_i\,-\,R_4\,\left(-\,\frac{V_i}{R_1}\right)\,\longrightarrow\,V_x\,=\,V_i\,\left(1\,+\,\frac{R_4}{R_1}\right)[/tex]

Now we have...

[tex]V_0\,=\,V_i\,\left(1\,+\,\frac{R_4}{R_1}\,+\,\frac{R_3}{R_1}\right)\,+\,V_i\,\left(1\,+\,\frac{R_4}{R_1}\right)\,\left(\frac{R_3}{R_2}\right)\,\longrightarrow\,V_0\,=\,V_i\,\left(\frac{R_1\,+\,R_4\,+\,R_3}{R_1}\right)\,+\,V_i\,\left(\frac{R_3\,R_1\,+\,R_3\,R_4}{R_2\,R_1}\right)[/tex]

[tex]V_0\,=\,V_i\,\left(\frac{R_1\,+\,R_4\,+\,R_3}{R_1}\,+\,\frac{R_3\,R_1\,+\,R_3\,R_4}{R_2\,R_1}\right)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_0}{V_i}\,=\,\frac{R_1\,R_2\,+\,R_2\,R_3\,+\,R_2\,R_4}{R_1\,R_2}\,+\,\frac{R_1\,R_3\,+\,R_3\,R_4}{R_1\,R_2}[/tex]

[tex]\frac{V_0}{V_i}\,=\,\frac{R_1\,R_2\,+\,R_1\,R_3\,+\,R_2\,R_3\,+\,R_2\,R_4\,+\,R_3\,R_4}{R_1\,R_2}[/tex]

Does that look right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Solve OpAmp Symbolic Gain: KVL/KCL

1. What is OpAmp Symbolic Gain?

OpAmp Symbolic Gain is a measure of the amplification provided by an operational amplifier (OpAmp). It is a ratio of the output voltage to the input voltage and is denoted by the variable "A".

2. How is KVL (Kirchhoff's Voltage Law) used to solve OpAmp Symbolic Gain?

KVL is used to analyze the voltage gains in a circuit that includes an OpAmp. By applying KVL to the input and output loops of the OpAmp, we can determine the symbolic gain of the amplifier.

3. What is the role of KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) in solving OpAmp Symbolic Gain?

KCL is used to analyze the current flows in a circuit that includes an OpAmp. By applying KCL at the input and output nodes of the OpAmp, we can determine the symbolic gain of the amplifier.

4. How do I use KVL/KCL to calculate the symbolic gain of an OpAmp circuit?

To calculate the symbolic gain, you must first identify the input and output nodes of the OpAmp circuit. Then, apply KVL and KCL to these nodes to form equations. Solve the equations to determine the symbolic gain.

5. What are the benefits of using symbolic gain to analyze OpAmp circuits?

Using symbolic gain allows for a simplified analysis of OpAmp circuits, as it takes into account the ideal behavior of the amplifier. It also allows for easy comparison of different OpAmp circuits and helps in choosing the most suitable circuit for a given application.