Solve PDE: Find General Solution

• Thread starter geoffrey159
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
I was a bit confused by the notation and the formulation of the problem, so I wanted to make sure I understood it correctly.
geoffrey159

Homework Statement

Consider the following pde: ##\sum_{i=1}^n c_i f_{x_i} = 0##,

where all the ##c_i## are real valued and ##c_1 \neq 0##, and ##f## is the unknown defined from ##\mathbb{R}^n\to \mathbb{R}## and of class ##{\cal C}^1(\mathbb{R}^n,\mathbb{R})##

Show there exists an invertible ##n\times n## real matrix ##M## such that such that the change of variable ## X = M x## simplifies the pde to ##F_{X_1} = 0##, where ##F(X) = f(x)##. Then what is the general solution to this pde.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Assuming there exists such a solution, and such a matrix. Then the change of variable is of class ##{\cal C}^1(\mathbb{R}^n,\mathbb{R}^n)##, bijective, and its inverse has same regularity. So ##F## has the same regularity as ##f## and its partial derivatives are defined. Wa have:

## 0 = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i f_{x_i}(x) = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i (\sum_{k=1}^n \frac{\partial X_k}{\partial x_i} F_{X_k}(X)) = \sum_{i=1}^n c_i (\sum_{k=1}^n m_{ki} F_{X_k}(X)) = \sum_{k=1}^n (\sum_{i=1}^n c_i m_{ki}) F_{X_k}(X) ##

So we must choose ##M## such that ## M_{1,\bullet} \ \vec c =1## and ##M_{k,\bullet}\ \vec c = 0## for ##k\neq 1##. So we can choose

##M = \begin{pmatrix}
\frac{1}{c_1} & 0 & \ldots & 0 \\
\frac{-c_2}{c_1} & 1 & 0 & \vdots \\
\vdots &0 & \ddots & \ldots \\
\frac{-c_n}{c_1} & \ldots & \ldots & 1
\end{pmatrix} ##

It's determinant is ##\frac{1}{c_1}\neq 0 ## so ##M## is invertible and with such a matrix, ##F_{X_1} = 0##.

The solutions to this pde have the form ## F(X) = \lambda(X_2,...,X_n) ##, where ##\lambda \in {\cal C}^1(\mathbb{R}^ {n-1},\mathbb{R})##, so returning to ##f##, then

##f(x) = \lambda(M_{2,\bullet}\ x,...,M_{n,\bullet}\ x) = \lambda( x_2 - \frac{c_2}{c_1} x_1 , ..., x_n - \frac{c_n}{c_1} x_1)##

Are you ok with that proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody?

I checked the math and it looks correct. A second opinion would be appreciated though.

Likes geoffrey159
Thank you Samy for looking at it.

FAQ: Solve PDE: Find General Solution

What is a PDE?

A PDE (Partial Differential Equation) is a mathematical equation that involves multiple variables and their partial derivatives. It is used to describe the relationship between these variables and their rates of change.

What is the general solution of a PDE?

The general solution of a PDE is a function that satisfies the equation for all possible values of the variables. It includes all possible solutions, including any constants that may be present in the equation.

How do you solve a PDE?

The process of solving a PDE involves finding the general solution by using various mathematical techniques such as separation of variables, power series, or the method of characteristics. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the PDE.

What is the difference between a general solution and a particular solution?

A general solution includes all possible solutions to a PDE, while a particular solution is a specific solution that satisfies the equation for given initial or boundary conditions. A particular solution can be obtained by substituting the given conditions into the general solution.

Why is it important to find the general solution of a PDE?

Finding the general solution allows us to understand the behavior of the system described by the PDE for all possible values of the variables. It also helps in finding specific solutions for given initial or boundary conditions, which are often used to model real-life situations in science and engineering.

Back