Solve Physics Prob: Q, I, TC & Charge on C after 5.122ms

In summary: And, the answer is too small. From 76V to 6.58435V is not a very long time at all. Check your calculation again.In summary, a 3 µF capacitor charged to 76 V is connected to a 698 Ω resistor. The initial charge on the capacitor is 228 µC, the initial current is 0.109 A, and the time constant is 2.094 ms. After 5.122 ms, the charge on the capacitor is approximately 19.75 µC.
peaceandlove

Homework Statement

A 3 µF capacitor is charged to 76 V and is then connected across a 698 Ω resistor. (a) What is the initial charge on the capacitor? Answer in units of µC. (b) What is the initial current just after the capacitor is connected to the resistor? Answer in units of A. (c) What is the time constant of this circuit? Answer in units of ms. (d) How much charge is on the capacitor after 5.122 ms? Answer in units of µC.

Homework Equations

1) Q= CV
2) I= V/R
3) (TC) = RC
4) V = (V_0)(1-(e^(-t/RC)))

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Q=CV; Q=3 uF * 76 V; Q=228 uC
b) I = V/R; I=76 V/ 698 Ohm; I=0.109 A
c) TimeConstant TC=RC; TC=698 * 3 uF; TC=2.094 mSec

However, I can't figure out (d). I used equation 4 to figure out the voltage at 5.122 ms (=0.005122 s) and then plugged in the numbers to equation 1. I got 227.44298 µC, but that value is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
peaceandlove said:

Homework Statement

A 3 µF capacitor is charged to 76 V and is then connected across a 698 Ω resistor. (a) What is the initial charge on the capacitor? Answer in units of µC. (b) What is the initial current just after the capacitor is connected to the resistor? Answer in units of A. (c) What is the time constant of this circuit? Answer in units of ms. (d) How much charge is on the capacitor after 5.122 ms? Answer in units of µC.

Homework Equations

1) Q= CV
2) I= V/R
3) (TC) = RC
4) V = (V_0)(1-(e^(-t/RC)))

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Q=CV; Q=3 uF * 76 V; Q=228 uC
b) I = V/R; I=76 V/ 698 Ohm; I=0.109 A
c) TimeConstant TC=RC; TC=698 * 3 uF; TC=2.094 mSec

However, I can't figure out (d). I used equation 4 to figure out the voltage at 5.122 ms (=0.005122 s) and then plugged in the numbers to equation 1. I got 227.44298 µC, but that value is incorrect.

I think your equation in #4 may not be the right form. The "1-e" form is for when you have a voltage rising to some value. If it's starting at 76V and falling to zero, what form should you use...?

Another sanity check is that when you are out a couple time constants (5.122ms versus the 2.094ms time constant), the voltage on the cap should be pretty low...

Oh... so if the capacitor is discharging I would use the equation: V = (V_0)*(e^(-t/RC)). So then V = 6.58435. Plugging that into equation 1, I would then get 1.9753*10^-5 C (=19.753 microC).

peaceandlove said:
Oh... so if the capacitor is discharging I would use the equation: V = (V_0)*(e^(-t/RC)). Is that the equation you're talking about? If that is, then V = 6.58435. Plugging that into equation 1, I would then get 1.9753*10^-5 C (=19.753). Right?

Right and almost right. The units of the answer are uC, so 19.75uC.

Related to Solve Physics Prob: Q, I, TC & Charge on C after 5.122ms

1. What is the problem being solved in this physics question?

The problem being solved is the determination of the total charge on a capacitor after a certain amount of time has passed, given the initial charge and the time constant.

2. What do the variables Q, I, TC, and C represent in this problem?

Q represents the initial charge on the capacitor, I represents the current, TC represents the time constant, and C represents the capacitance of the capacitor.

3. How is the charge on the capacitor calculated after 5.122ms?

The charge on the capacitor after 5.122ms is calculated using the formula Q = Q0(1-e-t/TC), where Q0 is the initial charge, t is the time in seconds, and TC is the time constant.

4. Can this problem be solved using different units for time and charge?

Yes, as long as the units are consistent, this problem can be solved using different units for time and charge.

5. What is the significance of the time constant in this problem?

The time constant is a measure of how quickly the capacitor charges or discharges. It is determined by the resistance and capacitance in the circuit and affects the rate at which the charge on the capacitor changes over time.