Solve Polynomial Division: Find K Given Remainder of 3

In summary, to find the value of k in the equation 4x^2 + 9x + k when the remainder is 3 when divided by x-1, you can either continue with the usual division process and solve for k at the end, or use the fact that the remainder is equal to P(a) when divided by x-a, where P(x) is the polynomial and a is the constant.
HelloMotto

Homework Statement

The remainder is 3 when 4x^2 + 9x + k is divided by x-1
Im suppose to find the K. I am just confused because this question they give me the remainder..so what am i suppose to do with it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perform the usual operation, continue bringing k down and then at the end just solve for k by setting it equal to what your remainder should be.

thank you

You could also use the fact that when a polynomial, P(x), is divided by x- a, the remainder is exactly P(a). You don't need to do any division at all.

FAQ: Solve Polynomial Division: Find K Given Remainder of 3

What is polynomial division?

Polynomial division is a method of dividing two polynomials, which are expressions with variables and coefficients, by each other to find the quotient and remainder.

What is the purpose of solving for K in polynomial division?

In polynomial division, finding the value of K allows us to determine the exact quotient and remainder of the division, and therefore, fully solve the problem.

What is the process for solving for K in polynomial division?

The process involves setting up a long division problem, where the divisor is the polynomial being divided into the dividend. Then, we use the remainder to set up an equation and solve for K.

Why is the remainder of 3 important in this problem?

The remainder of 3 is important because it is the given information that we need to use to find the value of K. Without this information, we would not be able to solve the problem.

Can polynomial division be solved without knowing the remainder?

No, in order to fully solve a polynomial division problem, we need to know both the quotient and remainder. Without the remainder, we would not be able to find the value of K and therefore, cannot solve the problem.