Solve Q5 Part II Maths Exam: Normal Reaction Force on C

• MHB
  • Thread starter Needhelp2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation is about a student preparing for their final maths exam and encountering a problem while solving a question involving tension and normal reaction force. They are discussing their different approaches and trying to figure out where they may have gone wrong. The issue appears to be related to neglecting the frictional force at a certain point.
Needhelp2
So I have my final maths exam tomorrow and thought I'd do a few new past papers to brush up.

Here is my problem:
Q 5) part ii....

I worked out the tension in the string which was correct at 2.24N, but when I resolved vertically to find out the normal reaction force on C, I came out with 5.96N. In the solutions they resolved perpendicular to the plane and ended up with 5.26N.
My workings were: T+NCos(20)=0.8g

Any ideas on where I went wrong?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Delphis 1.pdf
    61.2 KB · Views: 65
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I have moved this topic, as it is more physics than geometry.

Just to verify, you are actually referring to question 6, correct?

Yes! Sorry Q6) part ii (Blush)

It looks as though you may be neglecting the frictional force at C, which acts in the direction CB (so as to balance the horizontal component of the normal force at C). If you resolve perpendicular to the rod then the frictional force has no component in that direction.

Hi there,

First of all, congratulations on taking the initiative to practice past papers before your final exam! That is a great way to prepare and ensure you are confident in your understanding of the material.

In regards to your problem, it seems like you have made a small error in your calculation. When resolving vertically, you should have used the sine function instead of the cosine function. This is because the normal reaction force is perpendicular to the inclined plane, not parallel to it. So your equation should have been: T + Nsin(20) = 0.8g.

Using this equation, you should get N = 5.26N, which matches the solution provided.

Remember to always carefully consider the direction and orientation of forces when resolving them. Keep up the good work and good luck on your exam tomorrow!

Related to Solve Q5 Part II Maths Exam: Normal Reaction Force on C

1. What is the normal reaction force on C in Q5 Part II Maths Exam?

The normal reaction force on C in Q5 Part II Maths Exam is the force exerted by the surface on which object C is resting, perpendicular to the surface. It is often denoted as N and its magnitude is equal to the weight of the object C.

2. How do I calculate the normal reaction force on C in Q5 Part II Maths Exam?

The normal reaction force on C can be calculated by using the formula N = mg, where m is the mass of object C and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). Alternatively, it can also be calculated by resolving the forces acting on object C in the vertical direction.

3. Is the normal reaction force on C equal to the weight of the object?

Yes, the magnitude of the normal reaction force on C is equal to the weight of the object. However, the direction of the normal reaction force is always perpendicular to the surface, while the weight of the object acts vertically downwards.

4. Does the normal reaction force on C change if the surface is inclined?

Yes, the normal reaction force on C will change if the surface is inclined. It will be equal to the component of the weight of object C perpendicular to the surface. This can be calculated using trigonometry.

5. What is the significance of the normal reaction force on C in Q5 Part II Maths Exam?

The normal reaction force on C is an important concept in physics and is used in various calculations involving forces and motion. It helps to determine the equilibrium of object C on the surface and plays a crucial role in understanding the interaction between objects and surfaces.