Solve Rational Inequality: Find Integer Roots [-2, 3]

In summary: In this case, the first occurs where x= -5/2 and the second where x= 4. There are three intervals to be considered: x< -5/2, -5/2< x< 4, and x> 4. x= -3< -5/2 and (3(-3)+ 1)/(-3- 4)= (-9+ 1)/(-7)= -8/-7 is greater than 1 so NO x< -5/2 satisfies the inequality. x= 0 is between -5/2 and 4. (3(0)+ 1)(0- 4)= -1/4 is less than 1. Every x between -5/2 and 4 satisfy the inequality. x= 5
mafagafo

Homework Statement

Find all integer roots that satisfy (3x + 1)/(x - 4) < 1.

The Attempt at a Solution

I would do this:

Make it an equation and find x such that (3x + 1)/(x - 4) = 1.

3x + 1 = x - 4
2x = -5
x = -5/2

Then check if the inequality is valid for values smaller than x and for values bigger than x.

But this approach is not good enough as I would get [-2, +∞) {integers} as my answer.

Any help would be really appreciated.

I think that the answer is [-2, 3] {integers}. But could only get this with a plot.

---

What should I also do so that my method is valid for "rational" inequalities?

Physics news on Phys.org
mafagafo said:

Homework Statement

I would do this:

3x + 1 = x - 4
2x = -5
x = -5/2

Then check if the inequality is valid for values smaller than x and for values bigger than x.

But this approach is not good enough as I would get [-2, +∞) {integers} as my answer.

I think that the answer is [-2, 3] {integers}. But could only get this with a plot.

---

Consider the two cases where ##x<4## and ##x>4## and work the inequalities separately.

mafagafo said:

Homework Statement

I would do this:

3x + 1 = x - 4
2x = -5
x = -5/2

[tex]
\frac{3x + 1}{x - 4} = \frac{3(x-4) + 3(4) + 1}{x - 4} = 3 + \frac{13}{x - 4}.
[/tex] Thus if [itex](3x + 1)/(x-4) < 1[/itex] then [itex]13/(x - 4) < - 2[/itex]. Clearly that can't be the case if [itex]x > 4[/itex] (because then [itex]13/(x - 4) > 0 > -2[/itex]) so we must have [itex]x < 4[/itex]. Is there a lower bound?

(3x + 1)/(x - 4) < 1 can be written in the form
[tex]\frac{(3x+1)-(x-4)}{x-4}<0[/tex]

Simplified: [tex]\frac{2x+5}{x-4}<0[/tex]

When is the fraction negative?

ehild

---
(3x + 1)/(x - 4) = 1
3x + 1 = x - 4
2x = -5

x = -5/2

----
(3x + 1)/(x - 4) = 1
(3(x - 4) + 12 + 1) / (x - 4) = 1
3 + 13/(x - 4) = 1
13 / (x - 4) = -2

x = 4

----
Then I work with those?
(3x + 1)/(x - 4) < 1
Code:
- 8/3 >> false
- 5/2 >> false
- 7/3 >> true
    4 >> impossible
    5 >> false

So the valid integers are {-2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3}?

mafagafo said:

Homework Statement

I would do this:

3x + 1 = x - 4
2x = -5
x = -5/2

An inequality can change direction where the two sides are equal or where the functions are discontinuous. Here, the first occurs where x= -5/2 and the second where x= 4. There are three intervals to be considered: x< -5/2, -5/2< x< 4, and x> 4.
x= -3< -5/2 and (3(-3)+ 1)/(-3- 4)= (-9+ 1)/(-7)= -8/-7 is greater than 1 so NO x< -5/2 satisfies the inequality. x= 0 is between -5/2 and 4. (3(0)+ 1)(0- 4)= -1/4 is less than 1. Every x between -5/2 and 4 satisfy the inequality. x= 5 is larger than 4 and (3(5)+ 1)/(5- 4)= 15/1 is larger than 1. The integer solutions are -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, and 3.

---

Likes 1 person
ehild said:
(3x + 1)/(x - 4) < 1 can be written in the form
[tex]\frac{(3x+1)-(x-4)}{x-4}<0[/tex]

Simplified: [tex]\frac{2x+5}{x-4}<0[/tex]

When is the fraction negative?

ehild

When [itex]{2x+5} < 0[/itex] and [itex]{x-4} > 0[/itex] or when [itex]{2x+5} > 0[/itex] and [itex]{x-4} < 0[/itex].

If [itex]{2x+5} < 0[/itex], then [itex]2x<-5[/itex] and [itex]x<-\frac{5}{2}[/itex].
and if [itex]{x-4} > 0[/itex], then [itex]x > 4[/itex]. Thus, this is impossible.

If [itex]{2x+5} > 0[/itex], then [itex]2x>-5[/itex] and [itex]x>-\frac{5}{2}[/itex].
and if [itex]{x-4} < 0[/itex], then [itex]x < 4[/itex]. Thus, [tex] S=\left\{x\in Z|-5 /2 < x < 4\right\}=\left\{x\in Z|-2 \le x \le 3\right\}[/tex]

Big thanks to all of you, with special mention to HallsOfIvy for answering my question.

Q.: "What should I also do so that my method is valid for "rational" inequalities?"
A.: An inequality can change direction where the two sides are equal or where the functions are discontinuous.

Related to Solve Rational Inequality: Find Integer Roots [-2, 3]

1. What is a rational inequality?

A rational inequality is an inequality that contains rational expressions, which are expressions that involve fractions with variables in the numerator and denominator. Examples of rational inequalities include x + 1 > 2 and 1/x < 3.

2. How do you solve a rational inequality?

To solve a rational inequality, you need to first isolate the rational expression on one side of the inequality sign. Then, you need to create a sign chart to determine the sign of the expression for different values of the variable. Finally, you can use the sign chart to determine the solution to the inequality.

3. What are integer roots?

Integer roots are the values of the variable that make the expression equal to zero. In other words, they are the solutions to the equation that results from setting the rational expression equal to zero. In the given problem, the integer roots would be the values of x that make the expression [-2, 3] equal to zero.

4. Why is it important to find integer roots in a rational inequality?

Finding integer roots in a rational inequality is important because it helps determine the boundaries of the solution set. It allows you to identify the specific values of the variable that satisfy the inequality, which can be useful in real-world applications.

5. Can rational inequalities have more than one solution?

Yes, rational inequalities can have more than one solution. In fact, they can have an infinite number of solutions. This is because the solution set for a rational inequality is typically expressed in interval notation, which includes all values between two specific points. In the given problem, the interval [-2, 3] represents all values of x between and including -2 and 3 that satisfy the inequality.

Back