Solve Reduction of Order: y" - 4y' + 4y = 0

• Thread starter vipertongn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reduction
In summary, the conversation discusses using reduction of order to solve a differential equation involving y" - 4y' + 4y = 0 with initial conditions. The solution is found to be y = c1e^(2x) + c2xe^(2x), with the particular solution of xe^(2x) being chosen by the solution manual.
vipertongn

Homework Statement

solve y"-4y'+4y=0 y1=e^(2x) using reduction of order

The Attempt at a Solution

y2=uy=ue^2x
y2'=u'e^2x+2ue^2x
y2"=u"e^2x+4u'e^2x+4ue^2x

I then substitute that into the original equation to get

u"e^2x+4u'e^2x+4ue^2x-4u'e^2x-8ue^2x+ue^2x=0

simplify to get
u"e^2x=0

from here I do not know what to do...I do know the answer is suppose to be xe^2x, but I don't know how that is done.

Physics news on Phys.org
From u"e2x=0, you can divide by e2x and solve u''=0.

ahh...so then u"=0 makes u'=c and then later u=xc1+c2 and
y2=uy1
y2=xc1*e^2x+c2*e^2x

but what then? how do I solve for c1 and c2?

You need initial conditions in order to solve for the constants c1 and c2.

however, in my solutions manual it says the solution comes out to be xe^2x, and I have no idea how that came to be. except for the use of this equation
y2=y1S e^(-SP(x)dx)/y1^2 dx

The general solution of your diff. equation is y = c1e^(2x) + c2xe^(2), for any values of c1 and c2. The simplest pair of linearly independent solutions is the pair with c1 = c2 = 1, so maybe they just arbitrarily chose that one.

FAQ: Solve Reduction of Order: y" - 4y' + 4y = 0

What is the concept of reduction of order?

Reduction of order is a technique used in solving ordinary differential equations (ODEs) where a second order ODE is transformed into a first order ODE. This makes it easier to solve the ODE and find a general solution.

How do you solve an ODE using reduction of order?

To solve an ODE using reduction of order, follow these steps:
1. Rewrite the ODE in the form of a second order ODE with the highest derivative isolated on one side.
2. Assume a solution in the form of y = u(x)v(x), where u(x) is a known function and v(x) is an unknown function.
3. Substitute this solution into the ODE and solve for v(x).
4. Integrate v(x) to find u(x).
5. Substitute the values of u(x) and v(x) into the general solution y = u(x)v(x) to obtain the final solution.

When is reduction of order used?

Reduction of order is used when solving second order ODEs with constant coefficients. It is also used when one solution of the ODE is known and the goal is to find a second independent solution.

What are the advantages of using reduction of order?

Using reduction of order can simplify the process of solving an ODE and lead to a more general solution. It also allows for a second independent solution to be found, which can be useful in certain situations.

Are there any limitations to using reduction of order?

Reduction of order can only be used for second order ODEs with constant coefficients. It also may not work if the known solution of the ODE is a repeated root or if the ODE is not in standard form. In these cases, other methods such as variation of parameters may be more suitable.