Solve Rotation Question Homework: Stop Space Capsule's 30 rev/min

• Thread starter IWuvTeTwis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rotation
In summary, the flight controller must determine the length of time for two small jets to run in order to stop the rotation of a space capsule that was left rotating rapidly after a collision. The torque and angular acceleration of the capsule are calculated using the given values for the jets and the moment of inertia. However, the calculated time may be incorrect due to a possible error in the value for angular velocity. Further examination is needed to determine the correct time for the jets to run.
IWuvTeTwis

Homework Statement

The figure shows the rear view of a space capsule that was left rotating rapidly about its axis at 30 rev/min after a collision with another capsule. You are the flight controller and have just moments to tell the crew how to stop this rotation before they become ill from the rotation and the situation becomes dangerous. You know that they have access to two small jets mounted tangentially, at a distance R = 3.0 m from the axis, as indicated in the figure. These jets can each eject 7.0 g/s of gas with a nozzle speed of 800 m/s. Determine the length of time these jets must run to stop the rotation. In flight, the moment of inertia of the ship about its axis (assumed constant) is known to be 5800 kg·m2.

The picture of the situation is attached.

Homework Equations

tau = I*alpha
tau = F x r
alpha*t = omega

The Attempt at a Solution

I can find the torque by taking 800m/s*2*7.0g/s*1g/1000kg*3.0m = tau
We are given I, so I can find alpha as well, alpha = 0.00579 1/s^2
Using that and the value for omega, I find that t = 9.04s which seems to be wrong.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong here?

Attachments

• 10_34.gif
    10_34.gif
    21.9 KB · Views: 684
Physics news on Phys.org
Your value for alpha is correct, but the time is, as you suspect, not correct. Perhaps you have used wrong value for omega?

FAQ: Solve Rotation Question Homework: Stop Space Capsule's 30 rev/min

What is the purpose of solving a rotation question for a space capsule spinning at 30 rev/min?

The purpose of this type of homework question is to test your understanding of rotational motion and apply it to a real-world scenario. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and critical thinking abilities.

How do you approach solving a rotation question about a space capsule spinning at 30 rev/min?

First, you need to understand the given information, such as the rotational speed and any other relevant data. Then, you can use the appropriate equations and principles of rotational motion to find the desired solution.

What are the common challenges in solving a rotation question about a space capsule spinning at 30 rev/min?

Some common challenges may include understanding the concept of rotational motion, identifying the correct equations to use, and correctly interpreting the given data. In addition, keeping track of units and conversions may also pose a challenge.

What are some strategies for solving a rotation question about a space capsule spinning at 30 rev/min?

Some helpful strategies include drawing a diagram to visualize the scenario, breaking down the problem into smaller, manageable steps, and double-checking your calculations and units. It may also be helpful to review the relevant equations and principles of rotational motion beforehand.

How can solving a rotation question about a space capsule spinning at 30 rev/min be applied in real life?

Understanding rotational motion and its applications can be useful in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It can also be applied to everyday objects, such as wheels, gears, and motors. Additionally, understanding rotational motion can help us understand complex phenomena, such as the motion of planets and galaxies.

Back