Solve Simple Oscillation Homework: Find Max Kinetic Energy (mJ)

• Thread starter jeunesse27
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Oscilation
Therefore, 3.54300 × 10-9 J = 3.54300 × 10-12 MJ. The machine may not be accepting your answer because of rounding errors or significant figures. You could try rounding your answer to the nearest significant figure or using scientific notation to see if it is accepted. In summary, the maximum kinetic energy of the body is calculated to be approximately 3.54300 × 10-12 MJ.
jeunesse27

Homework Statement

A body is suspended vertically from an ideal spring of spring constant 3.5 N/m. The spring is initially in its relaxed position. The body is then released and oscillates about its equilibrium position. The motion is described by the following equation.

y = (4.5 cm) sin [(0.62 rad/s)t]

What is the maximum kinetic energy of the body?
[answer in mj)

Homework Equations

Kmax=.5kA^2

The Attempt at a Solution

.5(3.5)(.045)^2=.003543 J but the answer must be in mj. So, 3.543x10^-9 BUT computer did not accept the answer as a correct one... Could anyone help me please?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
1 mJ equal to how many Joules?

.003543 joules = 3.54300 × 10-9 megajoules
so if my answer is correct, then it is the machine error that it's not being accepted. is my answer correct?
Thanks

jeunesse27 said:
.003543 joules = 3.54300 × 10-9 megajoules
so if my answer is correct, then it is the machine error that it's not being accepted. is my answer correct?
Thanks
mJ is milli joule i.e. 10^-3 J. Mega Joule is MJ = 10^6 J

Related to Solve Simple Oscillation Homework: Find Max Kinetic Energy (mJ)

1. What is simple oscillation?

Simple oscillation is a repetitive back and forth motion around a central equilibrium point. It can be seen in various physical systems such as a pendulum or a spring.

2. How do you calculate the maximum kinetic energy in simple oscillation?

The maximum kinetic energy in simple oscillation can be calculated by using the formula Kmax = (1/2)mv2, where m is the mass of the object and v is the maximum velocity at the equilibrium point.

3. What is the significance of finding the maximum kinetic energy in simple oscillation?

Finding the maximum kinetic energy helps us understand the energy exchange between potential and kinetic energy in a system. It also allows us to determine the amplitude of the oscillation, which is an important factor in many applications.

4. Can the maximum kinetic energy in simple oscillation be greater than the total energy of the system?

Yes, the maximum kinetic energy can be greater than the total energy of the system. This is because the total energy includes both potential and kinetic energy, while the maximum kinetic energy only considers the kinetic energy at one specific point in the oscillation.

5. How does the mass of the object affect the maximum kinetic energy in simple oscillation?

The maximum kinetic energy is directly proportional to the mass of the object. This means that as the mass increases, so does the maximum kinetic energy. This relationship can be seen in the formula Kmax = (1/2)mv2.

Back