Solve Simultaneous Equations: No/1/Inf Solns?

In summary: I reduced the matrix to row reduced echelon form$A =\begin{pmatrix} 1& 0& 1/3& 0\\ 0 &1 &-2/3 &0\\ 0& 0& 0& 1\end{pmatrix}$If I compute the determinant I get det(A) = 0.
Guest2
$x+2y-z=2 \\
x-y+z =5 \\
3x+3y-z=\mu$

The question is for what value of the parameter has the equation (a) no solutions, (b) one solution, and (c) infinitely many solutions.

The trouble when I solve this system using guassian elimination I get $

(x, y, z) = ( -19-\frac{1}{2}\mu, 7, -7-\frac{1}{2}\mu)$

Physics news on Phys.org
Guest said:
$x+2y-z=2 \\
x-y+z =5 \\
3x+3y-z=\mu$

The question is for what value of the parameter has the equation (a) no solutions, (b) one solution, and (c) infinitely many solutions.

The trouble when I solve this system using guassian elimination I get $

(x, y, z) = ( -19-\frac{1}{2}\mu, 7, -7-\frac{1}{2}\mu)$

Write the system in matrix form as

$\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left[ \begin{matrix} 1 & \phantom{-}2 & -1 \\ 1 & -1 & \phantom{-}1 \\ 3 & \phantom{-}3 & -1 \end{matrix} \right] \left[ \begin{matrix} x \\ y \\ z \end{matrix} \right] = \left[ \begin{matrix} 2 \\ 5 \\ \mu \end{matrix} \right] \end{align*}$

The system will have unique solution if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| \begin{matrix} 1 & \phantom{-}2 & -1 \\ 1 & -1 & \phantom{-}1 \\ 3 & \phantom{-}3 & -1 \end{matrix} \right| \neq 0 \end{align*}$ and either no solution or infinite solutions if $\displaystyle \begin{align*} \left| \begin{matrix} 1 & \phantom{-}2 & -1 \\ 1 & -1 & \phantom{-}1 \\ 3 & \phantom{-}3 & -1 \end{matrix}\right| = 0 \end{align*}$.

But those determinants won't give me a condition on $\mu$.

Is there a way to read this off from the reduced row echelon form?

Guest said:
But those determinants won't give me a condition on $\mu$.

Is there a way to read this off from the reduced row echelon form?
As the question is stated there is no condition on \(\displaystyle \mu\).

-Dan

topsquark said:
As the question is stated there is no condition on \(\displaystyle \mu\).

-Dan
I found that $\mu = 9$ - and wolfram says that's the only value for which the system has solution.

Guest said:
I found that $\mu = 9$ - and wolfram says that's the only value for which the system has solution.
(Doh) That just shows that thinking the problem backward (as I did) is no substitute for thinking of it by simply solving the problem.

My apologies and thanks for the catch.

-Dan

I reduced the matrix to row reduced echelon form

$A =\begin{pmatrix} 1& 0& 1/3& 0\\ 0 &1 &-2/3 &0\\ 0& 0& 0& 1\end{pmatrix}$

Last edited:
If I compute the determinant I get det(A) = 0.

Could someone please explain what the answer to the problem is.

Related to Solve Simultaneous Equations: No/1/Inf Solns?

1. How do you solve simultaneous equations?

To solve simultaneous equations, you must first simplify both equations as much as possible. Then, choose a variable to eliminate by adding or subtracting the two equations. Next, solve for the remaining variable and substitute the value into one of the original equations to find the other variable. Finally, check your solution by plugging the values into both equations to see if they are equal.

2. What does it mean when there are no solutions to simultaneous equations?

If there are no solutions to simultaneous equations, it means that the two equations do not intersect at any point on a graph. In other words, there is no value of x and y that satisfy both equations simultaneously. This could happen if the equations are parallel or if they represent the same line.

3. What does it mean when there is one solution to simultaneous equations?

When there is one solution to simultaneous equations, it means that the two equations intersect at one point on a graph. In other words, there is one unique solution that satisfies both equations simultaneously. This solution can be found by solving for the two variables using elimination or substitution.

4. Can simultaneous equations have an infinite number of solutions?

Yes, simultaneous equations can have an infinite number of solutions. This happens when the two equations represent the same line. In this case, any point on the line will satisfy both equations, resulting in an infinite number of solutions.

5. How do you know if simultaneous equations have no, one, or infinite solutions?

To determine the number of solutions for simultaneous equations, you can graph the equations and see if they intersect at one point, are parallel, or are the same line. Alternatively, you can solve the equations algebraically and see if you get a unique solution, no solution, or an infinite number of solutions.