Solve Squares & Numbers Homework: Diff > 5

In summary, it is possible to enter the numbers 1 to 81 in an arbitrary fashion in a square divided into 81 smaller squares, such that there will always be two adjacent squares with a difference of at least 10. This can be proven by considering the maximum distance between any two squares on the grid and connecting the squares containing 1 and 81.
lolerlol

Homework Statement

A square is divided into 81 smaller squares by lines parallel to its sides. The numbers 1, 2, ..., 81 are entered in an arbitrary fashion, one in each square.

Show that, however the numbers are entered, it is possible to find two small squares with an edge in common whose entries differ by more than 5.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(Proof by contradiction)

Assume the numbers 1 to 81 have been entered so that any two adjacent squares have entries by at most 5.

Some of the non-adjacent squares have a common adjacent square.

Therefore, no squares diagonally opposite from each would have a difference of more than 10. However, all squares have at least two adjacent squares, so the difference of diagonally opposite squares cannot be more than 9

i.e.

1/5
6/11 will not work, but

1/5/9
6/10 will.

That's as far as I've gotten. Do i just continue doing that? Or is there another way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You could try to consider the big picture. You can travel from any square to any other square by passing through edges. What's the smallest number K such that you can do this by passing through at most K squares? Now consider what happens when you connect the square containing 1 with the square containing 81.

I don't quite understand. Could you explain further?

I'm asking what's the maximum distance between any two squares on the grid, where distance measures how many squares you have to pass through (edgewise) to get from one to the other.

In fact we can improve this number. We can show there exists two adjacent squares with difference at least 10 (where adjacent means diagnolly also).

Related to Solve Squares & Numbers Homework: Diff > 5

1. How do I solve squares and numbers homework if the difference is greater than 5?

The first step is to understand what you are being asked to do. In this case, you are being asked to find the square of a number and then find the difference between that square and another number. Once you understand the task, you can follow the steps outlined in your textbook or classroom notes to solve the problem.

2. What is the formula for finding the difference between two numbers?

The formula for finding the difference between two numbers is simple: subtract the smaller number from the larger number. For example, if you have two numbers, 8 and 3, the difference would be 8 - 3 = 5. This formula applies to any two numbers, regardless of their values.

3. What if the difference between the two numbers is negative?

If the difference between the two numbers is negative, it simply means that the first number is smaller than the second number. For example, if you have 3 and 8, the difference would be 3 - 8 = -5. This is perfectly normal and does not change the steps for solving the problem.

4. Is there a trick to solving squares and numbers homework with a difference greater than 5?

While there is no specific trick for solving these types of problems, it is important to remember to carefully follow the steps and double-check your work. It may also be helpful to review basic algebraic concepts, such as the order of operations, to ensure accuracy.

5. Can I use a calculator to solve squares and numbers homework with a difference greater than 5?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve these problems. However, it is important to show your work and not simply rely on the calculator's answer. This will help you understand the steps and identify any errors that may have been made in the calculation.