Solve Star-Delta Starter Problem: Find Starting Torque

• Thread starter Lunat1c
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Starter
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the starting torque of a small induction motor using a star-delta starter. The motor has a short circuit current of 5 times the full-load current and a full load slip of 4%. The equation used to calculate the starting torque is T_{start}= \frac{3(\frac{5}{3} I_{FL})^2R_r}{\omega_s}. Dividing this by the full load torque equation, T_{FL} = \frac{3I_{FL}^2R_r}{0.04\omega_s}, results in a starting torque of 11.1% of the full load torque. However, the lecturer's answer of 33.33% is due
Lunat1c
Hi, I got a small problem which I'm not sure I'm solving correctly. A small induction motor has a short circuit current equal to 5 times the full-load current. I need to find the starting torque as a percentage of full load torque if the motor is started by a star-delta starter. It is also known that the motor has a full load slip of 4%.

[tex] Torque = \frac{3I_{R}^2R_r}{(s*\omega_s)} [/tex]

[tex] T_{start}= \frac{3(\frac{5}{3} I_{FL})^2R_r}{\omega_s} [/tex]

Note that in the above equation i divided the current by three because in a star-delta starter the current is supposed to be 1/3 the direct online current.

and [tex] T_{FL} = \frac{3I_{FL}^2R_r}{0.04\omega_s} [/tex]

Then dividing (1) by (2) i should get [tex] \frac{T_{start}}{T_{FL}}=(25/9)*0.04=0.11 [/tex].

That is equivalent to 11.1% of the Full load torque. However my lecturer got the answer as 33.33%, which is probably because he did [tex] \frac{i^2}{3} [/tex] instead of [tex] (\frac{i}{3})^2 [/tex]. Is my answer incorrect?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone please? I have done some additional reading about the problem but I still can't see where I could have made a mistake. The problem is that in another very similar question I also got the answer wrong by using this "method", if you can call it that.

Related to Solve Star-Delta Starter Problem: Find Starting Torque

1. What is a Star-Delta starter?

A Star-Delta starter is an electrical motor starting mechanism that is used to reduce the starting current of a motor by first connecting the motor in a "star" configuration and then switching it to a "delta" configuration once it has reached a certain speed.

2. How does a Star-Delta starter work?

A Star-Delta starter works by using a contactor to connect the motor windings in a "star" configuration, which reduces the voltage applied to each winding. Once the motor reaches a certain speed, a timer or centrifugal switch will switch the contactor to connect the motor windings in a "delta" configuration, which allows for full voltage to be applied to the motor.

3. Why is it important to calculate the starting torque for a Star-Delta starter?

Calculating the starting torque for a Star-Delta starter is important because it ensures that the motor has enough torque to overcome the initial inertia and start rotating. Without enough starting torque, the motor may not be able to start or may experience excessive wear and tear.

4. How do you calculate the starting torque for a Star-Delta starter?

The starting torque for a Star-Delta starter can be calculated using the formula: Ts = (3V^2)/(4√3R) where V is the line voltage and R is the motor winding resistance. Alternatively, you can also use online calculators or consult with a professional engineer for more accurate calculations.

5. What are some common problems with Star-Delta starters and how can they be solved?

Some common problems with Star-Delta starters include high starting currents, insufficient starting torque, and short circuit faults. These can be solved by properly sizing the starter for the motor, adjusting the timer settings, and ensuring proper wiring and connections. It is also important to regularly maintain and inspect the starter to prevent any potential issues.