Solve Summation of Terms Upto n: Urgent Help

In summary, the conversation is about finding the sum up to n terms, using the formula tn=(2n-1)(2n+1)(2n+3) and taking summation on both sides. The person is also questioning the use of constants in the summation process and seeking clarification on how to properly write them.
avistein
Find the sum upto n terms:

1.3.5+3.5.7+5.7.9....tn

I solve it this way:

tn=(2n-1)(2n+1)(2n+3)
Now can I take summation on both sides? How?

I mean when I add 2 on both sides the resultant is 0(2-2=0).Similarly the resultant summation will be zero?

And if I take summation I get one term as 3Ʃ.Now in a book I saw that it is 3n. Why? Summation of 3 will be 3 only as 3 is constant.Please explain.

I got this:

Ʃtn=Ʃ(2n-1)(2n+1)(2n+3)

Ʃtn=Ʃ[(4n^2-1)(2n+3)]
Ʃtn=Ʃ[8n^3 + 12n^2 - 2n - 3]

Ʃtn=Ʃ[8n^3] + Ʃ[12n^2] - Ʃ[2n] -Ʃ[3]

Ʃtn=8*Ʃ[n^3] + 12*Ʃ[n^2] - 2*Ʃ[n] - Ʃ[3]

Now do I require to write them as Ʃ[3] or 3Ʃ (putting a constant outside Ʃ).Please explain the whole summation process.I am stuck here.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hi.

You are on the right way.

As for Ʃtn=8*Ʃ[n^3] + 12*Ʃ[n^2] - 2*Ʃ[n] - Ʃ[3], there are formula for Ʃ[n^3], Ʃ[n^2], Ʃ[n] and Ʃ[1].

avistein said:
Summation of 3 will be 3 only as 3 is constant

No. Summing a constant depends on how many times you sum it.

For example,

[itex] \sum_{i=1}^4 10 = 10 + 10 + 10 + 10 = (4)(10) = 40 [/itex]

Related to Solve Summation of Terms Upto n: Urgent Help

1. What is the summation of terms up to n?

The summation of terms up to n is the sum of all terms from the first term (i = 1) to the nth term (i = n) in a sequence or series. It is also known as the partial sum or partial sum sequence.

2. How do you solve for the summation of terms up to n?

The most common method to solve for the summation of terms up to n is by using the formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence, which is Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term.

3. What are some common applications of the summation of terms up to n?

The summation of terms up to n is commonly used in mathematics and statistics to calculate the total value of a series or sequence. It is also used in economics and finance to calculate the present value of future cash flows and in physics to determine the total displacement of an object over a period of time.

4. Are there any alternative methods to solve for the summation of terms up to n?

Yes, there are other methods to solve for the summation of terms up to n, such as using the formula for the sum of a geometric sequence, using a calculator with a summation function, or using a computer program or spreadsheet to calculate the sum.

5. Can you provide an example of solving for the summation of terms up to n?

Sure, let's say we want to find the sum of the first 5 terms in the sequence 2, 4, 6, 8, 10. Using the formula Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), we have S5 = (5/2)(2 + 10) = 30. Therefore, the sum of the first 5 terms in this sequence is 30.