Solve the Bee Bicycle Challenge: Can You Beat the 30s Time Limit?

In summary, the bee flies for the same amount of time as the man and therefore the bee travels 140 miles.
Ian
A math teacher gave this problem years ago when I was in High School. We had just finished a couple of hours of calculus, and there were only about three minutes left of the lesson. He gave us thirty seconds to give the correct answer, give yourself the same time, or fail.

A man rides a bicycle 100 miles between point A and point B at a constant speed of 25 mph. At the same time, a bee sitting on his handlebars begins to fly between A and B, but at a constant speed of 35 mph.
When the bee reaches point B ahead of the man, it immediately returns to meet him in-between and then continues to fly back and forth between the man and point B until the man finally reaches his destination.

How far does the bee fly in total? (ignore accelerating and deceleratating etc.)

Physics news on Phys.org
well,in my opinion, when you start calculating the numbers you are already wrong, given only thirty seconds,I suppose the numbers is just a distraction and the distance traveling from point a to b etc is totally irrevelent,and should be placing the point of reference on the bee instead of the man.
i'd say the time spent going to the man and then back would be the same completing the 100miles.(dont blame me if I am wrong,:rolleyes:)

The trick of this question is people get stuck on the information they don't have, and ignore the information they do have. Forget about the infinite series of lengths the bee flies. Look at what information you have.

1. Man: 25mph
2. A -> B: 100 miles
Therefore man takes 4 hours to reach B (100/25)
3. Bee: 35mph
4. (the pivotal one) Bee flies for same time as man = 4 hours
Therefore Bee distance = 35*4 = 140 miles.

i guess vertigo's correct,i didnt complete the process of the 35*4,and i only got the concept correct X_X

What could be easier than summing the infinite series?

Related to Solve the Bee Bicycle Challenge: Can You Beat the 30s Time Limit?

1. How do I participate in the Bee Bicycle Challenge?

To participate in the Bee Bicycle Challenge, you can go to the designated location and sign up with the event organizers. You will be given a bicycle and helmet to use for the challenge.

2. What is the purpose of the Bee Bicycle Challenge?

The purpose of the Bee Bicycle Challenge is to raise awareness about the declining bee population and the importance of pollinators in our ecosystem. It is also a fun and engaging way to promote sustainable transportation methods.

3. What is the 30s time limit for the challenge?

The 30s time limit is the maximum amount of time given to complete the challenge. Participants must navigate through a course while collecting bee tokens and avoiding obstacles in under 30 seconds to successfully complete the challenge.

4. Is the Bee Bicycle Challenge suitable for all ages?

The Bee Bicycle Challenge is suitable for individuals of all ages, as long as they are able to ride a bicycle safely. Children under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.

5. Is there a prize for completing the Bee Bicycle Challenge?

While there may not be a physical prize for completing the Bee Bicycle Challenge, participants can take pride in their accomplishment and contribute to a good cause. Additionally, some events may offer small prizes or rewards for completing the challenge within a certain time limit.