Solve the Complex Numbers equation

In summary, the conversation involves solving a complex equation for z and using the exponential form to simplify the solution. The steps taken include equating the real and imaginary parts, using the exponential form of a complex number, and attempting to solve the equation with the steps provided. However, the solution remains incomplete and the discussion ends with a suggestion to continue simplifying the exponential form of the equation.
TheRedDevil18

Homework Statement

Solve the following complex equation for z:

zi = sqrt(3) - i

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Do I have to equate the real and imaginary parts ?, this is what I tried

zi = (x+iy)i = exp(i*log(x+iy))

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest to use the exponential form.

ehild

ehild said:
I suggest to use the exponential form.

ehild
I'm not sure what form that is. I tried doing it this way but it gets very messy and I don't think it works out

The polar, or exponential, form of a complex number is z = |z| ei arg z, did you learn that?

Also, 2 = eln2

Last edited:
TheRedDevil18 said:
I'm not sure what form that is. I tried doing it this way but it gets very messy and I don't think it works out

Nevertheless, show us what you obtained, messy or not. Anyway, the answer should be messy.

GFauxPas said:
The polar, or exponential, form of a complex number is z = |z| ei arg z, did you learn that?

Also, 2 = eln2

I tried it and I got up to this stage

(|z| ei arg z)i
= zi e-arg z
= eI lnz e-arg z

And, I'm stuck

You can do something with the other side, too. Write it in exponential form.

ehild

Related to Solve the Complex Numbers equation

1. What are complex numbers?

Complex numbers are numbers that consist of both a real part and an imaginary part. They are written in the form a + bi, where a and b are real numbers and i is the imaginary unit (√-1).

2. How do I solve a complex numbers equation?

To solve a complex numbers equation, you can use the basic rules of algebra, such as combining like terms and using the distributive property. It is important to remember that when multiplying complex numbers, you must also multiply the imaginary parts and then combine them using the properties of i (i² = -1).

3. What is the difference between a real number and a complex number?

A real number is any number that can be found on the number line, including both positive and negative numbers. A complex number, on the other hand, is a combination of a real number and an imaginary number. Real numbers can be represented on a one-dimensional number line, while complex numbers require a two-dimensional plane (called the complex plane) for representation.

4. Can complex numbers be used in real-life applications?

Yes, complex numbers have many real-life applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and economics. They are used to represent quantities that have both a magnitude and a direction, such as electrical currents and forces. They are also used in signal processing, control systems, and financial analysis.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving complex numbers equations?

One common mistake is forgetting to distribute the imaginary unit (i) when multiplying complex numbers. Another mistake is incorrectly applying the properties of i, such as forgetting that i² = -1. It is also important to be careful when simplifying complex numbers, as the order of operations still applies (e.g. multiplication and division before addition and subtraction).