Solve the equation in cartesian and polar form: x^3 + 4\sqrt{1+i} = 0

• Thread starter bjgawp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Complex
In summary, to solve the equation x^3 + 4\sqrt{1+i} = 0 and express it in both cartesian and polar form, the correct approach is to first express 4\sqrt{1+i} in polar coordinates, which gives two forms: z_0 = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} \left(\cos \tfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin \tfrac{\pi}{8}\right) and z_1 = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} \left(\cos \tfrac{9\pi}{8} + i\sin \tfrac{9\pi}{8}\right). Then, substituting each of these values
bjgawp

Homework Statement

Solve: [tex]x^3 + 4\sqrt{1+i} = 0[/tex]

and express in both cartesian and polar form.

Homework Equations

[tex]e^{i\theta} = \cos (\theta) + i \sin (\theta)[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

What I did was move the constant term to the right hand side and squared both sides to get: [tex]x^6 = 16 + 16 i[/tex]

which implies: [tex]x = (16+16i)^{1/6} = \left[16\sqrt{2}\right]^{1/6} e^{\frac{(8k+1)\pi i}{6}}[/tex]

Then I simply sub in k = 0, 1, .., 5 for all my roots. But the original equation is a polynomial of degree 3. There should be only 3 factors. Do I have to test them all to see if they work? Or is there an easier way...

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
You introduced these extra roots when you squared both sides. To avoid having to substitute them into the equation, try expressing [tex]4 \sqrt{ 1 + i }[/tex] in polar coordinates.

I don't really see how that helps as it looks fairly complicated.

[tex](1+i)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{\frac{(8k+1)\pi i}{8}}[/tex]

which gives us two forms:
[tex]z_0 = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} \left(\cos \tfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin \tfrac{\pi}{8}\right)[/tex]

[tex]z_1 = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} \left(\cos \tfrac{9\pi}{8} + i\sin \tfrac{9\pi}{8}\right)[/tex]

then substituting each of these back, I get two 3rd degree equations which again would give me 6 roots?

bjgawp said:
I don't really see how that helps as it looks fairly complicated.

[tex](1+i)^{\frac{1}{2}} = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} e^{\frac{(8k+1)\pi i}{8}}[/tex]

which gives us two forms:
[tex]z_0 = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} \left(\cos \tfrac{\pi}{8} + i\sin \tfrac{\pi}{8}\right)[/tex]

[tex]z_1 = 2^{\frac{1}{4}} \left(\cos \tfrac{9\pi}{8} + i\sin \tfrac{9\pi}{8}\right)[/tex]

then substituting each of these back, I get two 3rd degree equations which again would give me 6 roots?

That's like saying solving x^3+sqrt(1)=0 means solving x^3+1=0 and x^3-1=0. Sure you get 6 roots. The 'sqrt' notation in your notation indicates only one of them. You want the 'principal value' of the square root. It's the pi/8 one.

Related to Solve the equation in cartesian and polar form: x^3 + 4\sqrt{1+i} = 0

1. How do I solve a complex equation?

Solving a complex equation involves using algebraic principles to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and perform the same operation on both sides until the variable is isolated. It may also involve using properties of exponents, logarithms, and other mathematical operations.

2. What are the steps for solving an equation?

The general steps for solving an equation are to simplify any expressions within parentheses or brackets, combine like terms, isolate the variable on one side of the equation, and perform the same operation on both sides until the variable is isolated. If the equation is complex, additional steps may be required.

3. Can all equations be solved?

Not all equations can be solved. Some equations may have no solution, while others may have an infinite number of solutions. It is important to check the solution for validity and to make sure it satisfies the original equation.

4. What are complex equations?

Complex equations are equations that involve variables, constants, and mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division, exponents, and logarithms. They may also involve multiple variables and may require multiple steps to solve.

5. How can I check if my solution to a complex equation is correct?

To check if your solution to a complex equation is correct, plug the solution into the original equation and simplify. If both sides of the equation are equal, then the solution is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph the equation and see if the solution falls on the graph.