Solve the equation: ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Solve the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##
Relevant Equations
trigonometry
I saw this link; is the approach here correct?

https://www.google.com/search?q=tan+x+tan+4x+=+1&oq=&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqCQgAECMYJxjqAjIJCAAQIxgnGOoCMgkIARAjGCcY6gIyCQgCECMYJxjqAjIJCAMQIxgnGOoCMgkIBBAjGCcY6gIyCQgFECMYJxjqAjIJCAYQIxgnGOoCMgkIBxAjGCcY6gLSAQkyNTc3ajBqMTWoAgiwAgE&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:7ceabfd6,vid:F4aNmm2QblY,st:0In my approach, i worked with:

##\cos 4x ⋅\cos x - \sin4 x⋅\sin x=0##

##\cos(4x + x)=0##

##\cos 5x = 0##

From here the solutions are determined easily...

cheers.

Physics news on Phys.org
This method has the advantage of not knowingly dividing by zero, which [tex]
\tan (5x) = \frac{\tan x + \tan 4x}{1 - \tan x \tan 4x}[/tex] suffers from.

Likes WWGD and chwala
I propose to write tan x= cot 4x because x cannot be 0. Then one will get:
3x=k Pi
where k integer positive or negative

bamboum said:
I propose to write tan x= cot 4x because x cannot be 0. Then one will get:
3x=k Pi
where k integer positive or negative
You have skipped a lot of steps going from ##\tan(x) = \cot(4x)## to ##3x = k\pi##. How do you justify this large leap?

Others solutions are related to x close to 0. Then tan x is x+1/3x^3. One obtains 4x^2+8/3x^4=1 giving x=0.218 or -0.218. If Taylor's serie is greatest in order perhaps one will get x close to 0.3

Last edited:

FAQ: Solve the equation: ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##

What is the general approach to solve the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

The general approach to solve the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1## is to use trigonometric identities and properties of the tangent function. Recognize that if ##\tan x \cdot \tan 4x = 1##, then ##\tan x = \cot 4x##, which implies ##\tan x = \tan(\frac{\pi}{2} - 4x)##. This leads to finding the solutions for ##x## that satisfy this condition.

What are the specific solutions for the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

The specific solutions for the equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1## can be found by solving ##x = \frac{\pi}{2} - 4x + k\pi## for integer values of ##k##. This simplifies to ##5x = \frac{\pi}{2} + k\pi##, so ##x = \frac{\pi}{10} + \frac{k\pi}{5}##. Thus, the solutions are ##x = \frac{\pi}{10} + \frac{k\pi}{5}## for any integer ##k##.

Are there any restrictions on the solutions for ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

Yes, the solutions must fall within the domain of the tangent function, which means ##x## must not be an odd multiple of ##\frac{\pi}{2}##, as the tangent function is undefined at these points. Additionally, the solutions must be checked to ensure they do not lead to undefined expressions within the given context.

How can we verify the solutions for ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

To verify the solutions, substitute the values of ##x## back into the original equation ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1## and check if the equation holds true. For example, if ##x = \frac{\pi}{10} + \frac{k\pi}{5}##, then calculate ##\tan x## and ##\tan 4x## and confirm that their product equals 1.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving ##\tan x ⋅\tan 4x = 1##?

Common mistakes include not considering the periodicity of the tangent function, neglecting to check for undefined values, and incorrect algebraic manipulation when solving for ##x##. It's important to account for all possible solutions within

Back