Solve the given problem involving integration.

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
integration
1729242684107.png

This really cracked me up! Unless there is something i am not seeing!

part (a) is straightforward, using quotient rule:
##\dfrac{dy}{dx} = \dfrac{x⋅\dfrac{1}{x}- \ln x}{x^2}=\dfrac{1-\ln x}{x^2}##

From here i was able to see that,

##\int \dfrac{\ln x}{x^2} dx= \int \dfrac{1}{x^2}- \dfrac{\ln x}{x}##
## = -\dfrac{1}{x} - \dfrac{ln x}{x}=-\left[\dfrac{1+\ln x}{x}\right]##

on the other hand, using integration by parts( without using part (a) and (b)), gives me
##\int \dfrac{\ln x}{x^3} dx =\dfrac{-\ln x}{2x^2} + \int \left[\dfrac{-1}{2x^2}⋅\dfrac{1}{x}\right] dx##

##= -\dfrac{\ln x}{2x^2}+ \int \dfrac{-1}{2x^3} dx##

##= -\dfrac{\ln x}{2x^2}-\dfrac{1}{4x^2} +c##

but this does not satisfy my curiosity, as i did not use part (a), was there a mistake on the textbook or am i simply missing out on something?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
So we have as you said

Equation 1
##\frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{ \ln x}{x} \right) = \frac{1- \ln x}{x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{\ln x}{x^2}##

Which implies

Equation 2
##\frac{\ln x}{x^2} = \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{ \ln x}{x} \right)## This becomes important later

Starting with the integral

##\int \frac{\ln x} {x^3} \, dx = \int \frac{1}{x} \left(\frac{\ln x} {x^2} \right)\, dx##

substitute Equation 2 into the above

##\int \frac{\ln x} {x^3} \, dx = \int \frac{1}{x} \left( \frac{1}{x^2} - \frac{d}{dx}\left(\frac{ \ln x}{x} \right)\right)\,dx##

##\int \frac{\ln x} {x^3} \, dx = \int \left(\frac{1}{x^3} - \frac{1}{x} \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{\ln x}{x}\right)\right)\, dx##
Well the first term on the right hand side of the equals sign is easy enough to integrate readily

##\int \frac{\ln x} {x^3} \, dx = - \frac{1}{2x^2} - \int \frac{1}{x} \frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{\ln x}{x} \right)\,dx##

Now use integration by parts on the integral on the right hand side of the equals sign

## v = \frac{\ln x}{x} ##
## dv = \frac{d}{dx} \left(\frac{\ln x}{x} \right) dx##
##u = \frac{1}{x}##
##du = - \frac{1}{x^2} ##

Plugging this all in

## \int \frac{\ln x}{x^3} \,dx = -\frac{1}{2x^2} - \frac{\ln x}{x^2} - \int \frac{\ln x}{x^3} \,dx##

## 2 \int \frac{\ln x}{x^3} \,dx = -\frac{1}{2x^2} - \frac{\ln x}{x^2} ##

##\int \frac{\ln x}{x^3} \,dx = -\frac{1}{4x^2} - \frac{\ln x}{2x^2} + C##

I get the same thing as you

• Informative
Likes chwala
chwala said:
... but this does not satisfy my curiosity, as i did not use part (a), was there a mistake on the textbook or am i simply missing out on something?

Yes. Firstly, you made a sign error. Twice, so that your result remained correct. Secondly, as @PhDeezNutz demonstrated, you missed a trick by not using part (a) of the problem. You solved it by integration by parts
$$
\int (u'v)=uv-\int (uv')
$$
which is faster and more suitable in this case. However, using part (a) would have meant to use
$$
\mathcal{I}:=\int \dfrac{\log(x)}{x^3}=-\int \left(\underbrace{\dfrac{1-\log(x)}{x^2}}_{u'}\cdot \underbrace{\dfrac{1}{x}}_{v}-\dfrac{1}{x^2}\right)
$$
which results in an equation
$$
\mathcal{I}=f(x) -\mathcal{I} \Longleftrightarrow \mathcal{I}=\dfrac{f(x)}{2}
$$

The trick to using the additive symmetry: an integral that shows up on both sides of the equation with an opposite sign. You do not "solve" the integral, you express it with another function: ##f(x).## A similar trick exists for multiplicative symmetries.

Likes chwala and PhDeezNutz
From a)
[tex]\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\frac{\ln x }{x}=-\frac{3}{x^3}+\frac{2}{x^3}\ln x[/tex]
[tex]\frac{\ln x}{x^3} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d^2}{dx^2}\frac{\ln x }{x}+\frac{3}{2x^3}[/tex]
[tex]\int dx\frac{\ln x}{x^3} = \frac{1}{2}\frac{d}{dx}\frac{\ln x }{x}+\int dx\frac{3}{2x^3}[/tex]
So the same result with you @chwala .