Solve the given problem that involves probability

In summary, the tree diagram breaks down the events and outcomes in a problem to help calculate the probabilities. In the given problem, we can use the tree diagram to find the probability of event B given that event A has not occurred, and then use that to solve for the probability of event B and event A occurring together. This results in a probability of 7/12 for event A given that event B has occurred.
chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
See attached
Relevant Equations
Probability
1677755033297.png

I would like to know how one can use the tree diagram...hence my post... otherwise, i was able to solve problem as follows,

a. ##P(A∩B)= \dfrac{3}{4} ×\dfrac{1}{5}=\dfrac{3}{20}##

b. ## P(B/A')=\dfrac{P(B)-\dfrac{3}{20}}{P(A')}##

##\dfrac{3}{7}=\dfrac{P(B)-\dfrac{3}{20}}{\dfrac{1}{4}}##

##P(B)=\dfrac{9}{35}##

c. ## P(A/B)=\dfrac{3}{20} ×\dfrac{35}{9}=\dfrac{7}{12}##

Attachments

• 1677754984499.png
    1677754984499.png
    12.6 KB · Views: 72
Physics news on Phys.org
chwala said:
Homework Statement:: See attached
Relevant Equations:: Probability

View attachment 323090

I would like to know how one can use the tree diagram...hence my post... otherwise, i was able to solve problem as follows,

a. ##P(A∩B)= \dfrac{3}{4} ×\dfrac{1}{5}=\dfrac{3}{20}##

b. ## P(B/A')=\dfrac{P(B)-\dfrac{3}{20}}{P(A')}##

##\dfrac{3}{7}=\dfrac{P(B)-\dfrac{3}{20}}{\dfrac{1}{4}}##

##P(B)=\dfrac{9}{35}##

c. ## P(A/B)=\dfrac{3}{20} ×\dfrac{35}{9}=\dfrac{7}{12}##
See Conditional Probability Tree at https://www.cuemath.com/data/probability-tree-diagram/

Related to Solve the given problem that involves probability

1. What is the probability of a single event occurring?

The probability of a single event occurring is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. Mathematically, it is represented as P(A) = Number of favorable outcomes / Total number of possible outcomes.

2. How do you calculate the probability of multiple independent events?

The probability of multiple independent events occurring is found by multiplying the probabilities of each individual event. If events A and B are independent, then P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B).

3. What is the difference between independent and dependent events?

Independent events are those whose outcomes do not affect each other. In contrast, dependent events are those where the outcome of one event affects the probability of the other. For independent events, P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B), while for dependent events, P(A and B) = P(A) * P(B|A).

4. How do you find the probability of either of two mutually exclusive events occurring?

For two mutually exclusive events, the probability of either event occurring is the sum of their individual probabilities. If events A and B are mutually exclusive, then P(A or B) = P(A) + P(B).

5. What is conditional probability and how is it calculated?

Conditional probability is the probability of an event occurring given that another event has already occurred. It is calculated using the formula P(A|B) = P(A and B) / P(B), where P(A|B) is the probability of event A occurring given that event B has occurred.