##x^2-4=36-6x##

##x^2+6x-40=0##

##x_1=4, x_2=-10##

it follows that when ##x=4## then ##y+1=\dfrac{1}{3}## ⇒##y=-\dfrac{2}{3}##

and when ##x=-10## then ##y+1=\dfrac{1}{24}## ⇒##y=-\dfrac{23}{24}##

Seeking alternative ways...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I see no reason to hope there is a quicker way. Btw, you seem to have dropped 'x' in a couple of places when typing your post.

Related to Solve the given simultaneous equations in x^2, x and y

What are simultaneous equations?

Simultaneous equations are a set of equations involving multiple variables that are solved together because the solutions are common to all the equations in the set. In the context of equations in x^2, x, and y, these typically involve quadratic and linear terms that need to be solved simultaneously.

How do you solve simultaneous equations involving quadratic and linear terms?

To solve simultaneous equations involving quadratic and linear terms, you can use substitution or elimination methods. First, solve one of the equations for one variable in terms of the others, and then substitute this expression into the other equation(s). This often reduces the problem to solving a quadratic equation, which can be tackled using the quadratic formula or factoring.

Can you give an example of solving simultaneous equations with x^2, x, and y?

Sure! Consider the equations:1) \( y = x^2 + 3x + 2 \)2) \( y = 2x + 4 \)First, set the equations equal to each other: \( x^2 + 3x + 2 = 2x + 4 \). Simplify to get \( x^2 + x - 2 = 0 \). Factorize to get \( (x + 2)(x - 1) = 0 \). So, \( x = -2 \) or \( x = 1 \).For \( x = -2 \), substitute into \( y = 2x + 4 \) to get \( y = 0 \). For \( x = 1 \), substitute into \( y = 2x + 4 \) to get \( y = 6 \).Thus, the solutions are \( (x, y) = (-2, 0) \) and \( (1, 6) \).

What if the simultaneous equations have no real solutions?

If the simultaneous equations have no real solutions, it means that the equations do not intersect at any point in the real number plane. This can happen if, for example, the quadratic equation derived during the solving process has no real roots (i.e., the discriminant is negative). In such cases, the system is said to be inconsistent.

Are there any tools or software to help solve simultaneous equations?

Yes, there are several tools and software that can help solve simultaneous equations, including WolframAlpha, MATLAB, Mathematica, and various online equation solvers. These tools can handle both simple and complex systems of equations and provide step-by-step solutions.

Back