Solve the integral 1/(1+x^3) dx

In summary, the conversation discusses the method for solving an integral using substitution, as well as other methods such as partial fractions. It also mentions a special case for the integral and useful tricks for solving it. It concludes that integration, a concept in calculus, is necessary for solving this type of problem.
Alexx1
I try to solve the integral 1/(1+x^3) dx , but I got stuck

Now I got as solution:

(1/3) ln(x+1) - (1/6) ln(x^2 -x+1) + (1/2) integral (1/(x^2 -x+1))

Can someone help me to solve the last integral? I have absolutely no idea how I can solve that one..

So integral: 1/(x^2 -x+1) dx

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Write:
[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}-x+1}=\frac{1}{(x-\frac{1}{2})^{2}+\frac{3}{4}}=\frac{4}{3}\frac{1}{(\frac{2x-1}{\sqrt{3}})^{2}+1}[/tex]

arildno said:
Write:
[tex]\frac{1}{x^{2}-x+1}=\frac{1}{(x-\frac{1}{2})^{2}+\frac{3}{4}}=\frac{4}{3}\frac{1}{(\frac{2x-1}{\sqrt{3}})^{2}+1}[/tex]

Thank you very much!

FAQ: Solve the integral 1/(1+x^3) dx

1. What is the method for solving this integral?

The method for solving this integral is by using substitution. Specifically, we can substitute u = 1+x^3 and rewrite the integral as 1/u du. This can then be solved using the power rule for integrals.

2. Can this integral be solved using other methods?

Yes, this integral can also be solved using partial fractions. We can rewrite 1/(1+x^3) as A/(1+x) + Bx+C/(1+x^2), where A, B, and C are constants. This can then be solved using the method of partial fractions.

3. Is there a special case for this integral?

Yes, when the integral is evaluated from 0 to infinity, it is known as an improper integral. In this case, we can solve it using the limit definition of integrals.

4. Are there any useful tricks for solving this integral?

One useful trick for solving this integral is to recognize that 1+x^3 can be factored as (1+x)(1-x+x^2). This can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

5. Can this integral be solved without calculus?

No, this integral cannot be solved without calculus. Integration is a fundamental concept in calculus and is necessary for solving this type of problem.