Solve the problem involving arithmetic progression

chwala
Gold Member
Homework Statement
see attached
Relevant Equations
A.P
I posted this to clarify on the highlighted part- english problem for me.

First less than -200 means what?

1728785903791.png

Otherwise, the steps to solution are clear... cheers

Last edited:
Likes Gavran
Physics news on Phys.org
It means, the smallest ##n## for which the sum is less than -200.

Likes pasmith, chwala and andrewkirk
Hill said:
It means, the smallest ##n## for which the sum is less than -200.

The "number of terms" will be [itex]n + 1[/itex] rather than [itex]n[/itex] if you start from [itex]n = 0[/itex], as would be usual.

Likes chwala
pasmith said:
The "number of terms" will be [itex]n + 1[/itex] rather than [itex]n[/itex] if you start from [itex]n = 0[/itex], as would be usual.
But here it is stated that the first term (i.e. n = 1) is 5.
chwala said:
I posted this to clarify on the highlighted part- english problem for me.
The problem is with their English, not yours - they talk about "the number of terms" and they talk about "##n##" but they do not link the two. It should read "Find the number of terms ##n## such that..." or "Find ## n ## such that...".

• Informative
Likes Gavran and chwala
pbuk said:
But here it is stated that the first term (i.e. n = 1) is 5.

I don't agree.

It is natural to express a term of an arithmetic progression as [itex]a_n = c + dn[/itex] with [itex]a_0 = c[/itex] and not as [itex]a_n = c + d(n-1)[/itex] with [itex]a_1 = c[/itex]. In either case, the first term of the sequence is [itex]c[/itex].

pasmith said:
I don't agree.

I think we are splitting hairs about just how badly worded a badly worded question is. What did they really mean by "the first term is 5"? Does this imply that the first term is ## t_1 = 5 ##? If they had intended this to mean ## t_0 = 5 ## then would they have said "the zero'th term"?

Who knows, they don't even tell you that ## n ## is the number of terms so whether this starts at 0 or 1 is secondary.

The source of the paper is a past exam international paper. May be confusing to many students across the world.

Last edited:
Likes pbuk
Likes chwala
chwala said:
The source of the paper is a past exam international paper. May be confusing to many students across the world.
Indeed. Can you provide a link, or failing that state the exam board?

Likes chwala
chwala said:
Sorry, i just checked it is from the specimen paper of 2020 - code 0606/01. Most probably, this was corrected in subsequent papers i think...

chwala said:
Sorry, i just checked it is from the specimen paper of 2020 - code 0606/01. Most probably, this was corrected in subsequent papers i think...
Ah, I see. Here is a link: https://www.cambridgeinternational....gcse-mathematics-additional-0606/past-papers/

In the June 2022 paper 1 there was a similar question which was indeed better worded:

7 (a) The first three terms of an arithmetic progression are ## \operatorname{lg} 3, 3 \operatorname{lg} 3, 5 \operatorname{lg} 3 ##. Given that the sum to ## n ## terms of this progression can be written as ## 256 \operatorname{lg} 81 ##, find the value of ## n ##. [5]​

Note also that in this syllabus (as I believe is the case for all GCSE and IGCSE syllabi), the convention is that the first term of a series is ## a_1 ##. This is also implied in the "Mathematical Formulae" section in the front of the paper:
1728988502560.png

Last edited:
Likes chwala
Back