Solve Thevenin Problem: Find Rth & Vth for Points A+B

• Thread starter Sastronaut
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thevenin
In summary, the conversation is about using Thevenin techniques to find the equivalent circuit at points A and B. The Homework Equations mentioned are Kirchoff's loop rules and V=IR. The person attempting the solution has chosen loops and is unsure how to apply Kirchoff's loop rule to determine Vth. They also ask for help in determining the direction of current flow in order to create a junction rule. The other person suggests redrawing the circuit to make it less confusing, but the first person is unsure how to do so.
Sastronaut

Homework Statement

Use thevenin techniques to find the equivalent circuit (Rth and Vth) to which the points A + B are attached.

Homework Equations

Kirchoffs loop rules
V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I have indicated my chosen loops in blue. I am not quit sure at this point how to apply kirchhoffs loop rule to each of the loops so that I can determine Vth. the only loop I felt confident on was number 1 i.e. 1: 5V-40ΩI1+Vth. There so much going on in the circuit that its hard from me to determine which way current is flowing so that I can create a junction rule for the wire between the yellow points. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• thevenin problem.jpg
    thevenin problem.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 408
Physics news on Phys.org
So why not redraw the circuit so that it looks less confusing?

Also, your loops 1 and 2 are useless since they "loop" around open circuits, which are not really loops at all.

Last edited:
how do you purpose I re-draw it

It was a suggestion. Don't do it if you don't want.

You have not addressed my comment about your loops 1 and 2

I would approach this problem by first carefully studying the given circuit and identifying the key components and their relationships. This would involve analyzing the circuit using Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to determine the current and voltage at each point. Once I have a clear understanding of the circuit, I would then use Thevenin's theorem to simplify the circuit and determine the equivalent circuit at points A+B.

To find the Thevenin equivalent circuit, I would follow these steps:

1. Identify the load resistor: In this case, the load resistor is the 40Ω resistor between points A and B.

2. Calculate Rth: To find Rth, I would first remove the load resistor and replace it with a short circuit. Then, I would calculate the equivalent resistance of the remaining circuit between points A and B. This would be the Rth for the Thevenin equivalent circuit.

3. Calculate Vth: To find Vth, I would use Kirchhoff's voltage law (KVL) to determine the voltage drop across the removed load resistor. This would be the same as the voltage at points A and B in the original circuit. Therefore, Vth would be equal to the voltage drop across the removed load resistor.

4. Draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit: Once I have calculated Rth and Vth, I would draw the Thevenin equivalent circuit, which would consist of a voltage source with Vth as its voltage and a resistor with Rth as its resistance.

In summary, to solve the Thevenin problem at points A+B, I would use my knowledge of Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and Thevenin's theorem to simplify the circuit and determine the equivalent circuit at those points. This approach would allow me to accurately determine the values of Rth and Vth.

Related to Solve Thevenin Problem: Find Rth & Vth for Points A+B

1. What is Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem states that any linear electrical network can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source in series with a single resistor. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of voltage and current in a complex circuit.

2. Why is it important to find Rth and Vth for points A and B?

Finding Rth (Thevenin resistance) and Vth (Thevenin voltage) for points A and B allows us to simplify a circuit and analyze its behavior without getting into complicated calculations. It also helps in finding the maximum power that can be delivered to a load by the circuit.

3. How do you find Rth and Vth for points A and B?

To find Rth, we first remove all sources (voltage and current sources) from the circuit and calculate the equivalent resistance between points A and B. To find Vth, we then place a voltage source between points A and B and calculate the voltage across it. This voltage will be the Thevenin voltage for the circuit.

4. What are the practical applications of Thevenin's theorem?

Thevenin's theorem is widely used in circuit analysis and design. It helps in finding the voltage and current distribution in a complex circuit, which is essential for designing and troubleshooting electronic systems. It is also used in power systems and telecommunications for efficient power delivery and signal transmission.

5. Can Thevenin's theorem be applied to non-linear circuits?

No, Thevenin's theorem only applies to linear circuits. In a non-linear circuit, the voltage and current relationship is not linear, and hence, it cannot be simplified to a single voltage source and resistor. In such cases, other methods such as superposition or Thevenin's equivalent for non-linear circuits must be used.