Solve TI84 Regression Issue: 2 Calculators, 1 Result

• Thread starter barryj
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regression
In summary, the people in this article say that there might be a variable lurking in the data that caused the two calculators to give different regression results. They mention that maybe you can compare the way you do the regression now to see if there is a difference.
barryj
I have two TI84 calculators. I entered the following data into L1 and L2 and tried to do a linear regression. My friend also had a TI84 and entered the same data into his calculator. We checked, double checked, and triple checked to see that the data was the same in all three calculators. Here is the data.

1980 1745
1982 1711
1984 1688
1986 1657
1988 1642
1990 1611

On my two calculators the regression was about 0.5 On my friends calculator the regression was about .99.
I was extremely puzzled as to why my two calculators gave vastly differences. So... we tried the RESET thing. Then all three calculators read the same, r = .99.

I am concerned as to what made my calculators give the erroneous answers until RESET was performed. Does anybody know of a setting that could have made a difference.

At first my friend thought his calculator was broken because my two calculators gave the same result but after doing the resets, my two calculators began to give the correct answer. I would hate to take a test knowing that there is some mysterious setting that will make the regression not work properly.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Could you have had data from a prior linear regression still lurking inside?

In this article, they mention some holdover register r^2 and maybe it still had results still in it.

http://www.calcblog.com/performing-a-linear-regression-on-the-ti-83-or-ti-84/

Of course, there may be other STAT registers holding stuff too.

Here's some directions on doing a linear regression that you can compare to the way you do it now:

https://epsstore.ti.com/OA_HTML/csk...nge=null&fStartRow=0&fSortBy=2&fSortByOrder=1

Last edited:
I think I am doing the regression as per the articles above.
There must be some lurking variable that I cannot find or understand.
Now, I don't trust my TI84 anymore as this could happen again as I don't know how this condition was setup.

FAQ: Solve TI84 Regression Issue: 2 Calculators, 1 Result

1. What is the issue with using two TI84 calculators for regression?

The issue is that the two calculators may have different settings or versions of the software, which can lead to different results when performing the same regression calculation.

2. How can I solve this issue?

To solve this issue, you can reset both calculators to their default settings before performing the regression calculation. You can also update the software on both calculators to ensure they are running the same version.

3. Can I use two TI84 calculators for regression if they have the same settings and software version?

Yes, if the two calculators have identical settings and software versions, they should produce the same result when performing a regression calculation.

4. What other factors can affect the results of a regression calculation?

Other factors that can affect the results of a regression calculation include the data being used, the variables being measured, and the mathematical model used for the regression analysis.

5. Is there a way to verify the accuracy of the regression calculation on two TI84 calculators?

Yes, you can verify the accuracy of the regression calculation by comparing the results on both calculators and checking for any discrepancies. You can also try performing the same calculation using a different type of calculator or using a regression software program to see if the results are consistent.