Solve time-dependent Schrodinger equation for V=V(x,t)

In summary: Your Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the equations that are obeyed by the function ##\phi_n(x)## for two different potentials, ##V(x,t) = scos(\omega t)\delta (x)## and ##V(x,t) = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} s \delta(x - acos(\omega t))##. The approach involves using the Fourier transform of the potential and the Floquet theorem to solve for ##\phi_n(x)##. For the first potential, with only one Fourier harmonic, the solution is straightforward, but for the second potential, a more complicated Fourier transform must be used.
Poirot

Homework Statement

For the potential
##V(x,t) = scos(\omega t)\delta (x) ## where s is the strength of the potential, find the equations obeyed by ##\phi_n(x)##
And again for ##V(x,t) = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} s \delta(x - acos(\omega t))##

Homework Equations

Time-Dependent Schro:
## \frac{-\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{\partial^2 \psi(x,t)}{\partial x^2} + V(x,t)\psi(x,t) =i\hbar \frac{\partial \psi(x,t)}{\partial t} ##
from floquet theorem:
## \psi_E(x,t) = \phi_E(x,t) exp[-iEt/\hbar]##
with
## \phi_E(x,t + T) = \phi_E(x,t) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} \phi_{En}(x) exp[in\omega t] ##
and
## V(x,t) = V(x,t+T) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} V_n (x) exp[in\omega t]##

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried simply plugging in the period ψ and V(x,t) into the Schrodinger equation and ended up with an expression with no summations that seems far too simple. I was given a hint that I needed to think about how there's only 1 Fourier harmonic: ## V_{1}(x) = s\delta (x)## and ##V_{-1} = V_{1} ## but I don't really know what this means and as for second potential it should be very tricky but by my method it would be very simple. I don't really know how to use the Fourier transform of the potential here which I think is the issue.

Thanks in advance, any help would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear fellow scientist,

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, you are correct in thinking that the Fourier transform of the potential will be important in solving this problem.

Let's start with the first potential, ##V(x,t) = scos(\omega t)\delta (x)##. As you mentioned, there is only one Fourier harmonic, ##V_1(x) = s\delta(x)##, which means that the Fourier transform of the potential is simply ##V_1(x)##. This will be important when we use the Floquet theorem to solve for ##\phi_n(x)##.

As a reminder, the Floquet theorem tells us that the time-dependent wavefunction can be written as a sum of stationary states, ##\psi_E(x,t) = \phi_E(x,t) exp[-iEt/\hbar]##. We can use this to solve for ##\phi_n(x)## by plugging in the Fourier transform of the potential and using the fact that ##V(x,t) = V(x,t+T) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} V_n (x) exp[in\omega t]##.

For the first potential, we can write ##V(x,t) = s\delta(x)## and plug this into the Schrodinger equation, which will give us an expression for ##\phi_n(x)##. Then, using the fact that ##V_1(x) = s\delta(x)##, we can solve for ##\phi_n(x)## and find the equations that it obeys.

For the second potential, ##V(x,t) = \frac{\hbar^2}{2m} s \delta(x - acos(\omega t))##, we have a more complicated Fourier transform. In this case, we will have to use the fact that ##V(x,t) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} V_n (x) exp[in\omega t]## and solve for ##\phi_n(x)## using the Fourier transform of the potential.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. Don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions.

Related to Solve time-dependent Schrodinger equation for V=V(x,t)

1. What is the Schrodinger equation?

The Schrodinger equation is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics that describes the time evolution of a quantum system. It is named after physicist Erwin Schrodinger and is used to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a given time.

2. What is a time-dependent Schrodinger equation?

A time-dependent Schrodinger equation takes into account how the potential energy of a system changes with time. It is used to describe the behavior of quantum systems in dynamic situations, such as when the potential energy of a particle is changing over time.

3. What is V(x,t) in the Schrodinger equation?

V(x,t) represents the potential energy of a particle at a given position and time. It can take on different values depending on the specific system being studied and can be a function of both position and time.

4. How is the Schrodinger equation solved for V=V(x,t)?

The Schrodinger equation is a differential equation that can be solved using various mathematical techniques, such as separation of variables, perturbation theory, or numerical methods. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the system and the desired level of accuracy.

5. What are the applications of solving the time-dependent Schrodinger equation for V=V(x,t)?

The time-dependent Schrodinger equation has many applications in quantum mechanics, including predicting the behavior of atoms, molecules, and other quantum systems. It is used in various fields such as chemistry, materials science, and quantum computing to understand and design new materials and technologies.